Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plan to try for a aviation slot

Hi all,

I've planned on applying for OCS for a while now, however I have also become very interested in getting an aviation slot. I know that it's highly competitive, and that my chances would be better for WOCS, but it is a higher priority for me to become an Officer in terms of career planning.

I have a BS in Engineering, 3.19/4.0 GPA, age 27, average 270-280's PT, 139 GT score. Recommendations for OCS from my Commander and 1Sgt. Currently 11B and Airborne qualified.

From my reading, the things I need to get are PRK (current vision is 20/200 uncorrected), which I am getting in January, a flight physical (making inquiries abt how to get that), take the AFAST ( will start studying in December with the intent of taking it in January), flight hours (have my first lesson booked on Oct 28), and recommendations from the aviation community (trying to get some introductions through my civilian flight school).

It seems like a lot of hurdles to jump, but I've dealt with worse (emigrating to the US, getting my RE-3 waiver). I also have a lot of additional interests for branching if it doesn't work out (Engineers, Signal, Intel, Infantry).

Just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any comments or advice. I just moved to PA, but am also in contact with WV since I'm close enough and willing to drive a good 3 hours or so to drill for an aviation slot if they had any open.

Re: My plan to try for a aviation slot

Originally posted by USAForever View Post
    Hi all,

I've planned on applying for OCS for a while now, however I have also become very interested in getting an aviation slot. I know that it's highly competitive, and that my chances would be better for WOCS, but it is a higher priority for me to become an Officer in terms of career planning.

I have a BS in Engineering, 3.19/4.0 GPA, age 27, average 270-280's PT, 139 GT score. Recommendations for OCS from my Commander and 1Sgt. Currently 11B and Airborne qualified.

From my reading, the things I need to get are PRK (current vision is 20/200 uncorrected), which I am getting in January, a flight physical (making inquiries abt how to get that), take the AFAST ( will start studying in December with the intent of taking it in January), flight hours (have my first lesson booked on Oct 28), and recommendations from the aviation community (trying to get some introductions through my civilian flight school).

It seems like a lot of hurdles to jump, but I've dealt with worse (emigrating to the US, getting my RE-3 waiver). I also have a lot of additional interests for branching if it doesn't work out (Engineers, Signal, Intel, Infantry).

Just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any comments or advice. I just moved to PA, but am also in contact with WV since I'm close enough and willing to drive a good 3 hours or so to drill for an aviation slot if they had any open.
    IMPORTANT::::AR 40-501 para 4-12 a(1) states that your vision is Automatic DQ for flight status, corrected or not. Any vision worse then 20/50 is a no go. Talk to your state Aviation Officer about waivers, and ask questions.

Most people dont realize there is still an uncorrected cut off, dont go doing crazy things (like PRK) just to find out you were DQ from the start. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Yes. Make sure you are Physically good to go before going full speed. I had an E-6 at my last unit get LASIK before going to WOCS. He was a high-speed soldier. Went Ranger as a Marine and was despising his time as an Army NCO and was so happy when he got selected.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Yes. Make sure you are Physically good to go before going full speed. I had an E-6 at my last unit get LASIK before going to WOCS. He was a high-speed soldier. Went Ranger as a Marine and was despising his time as an Army NCO and was so happy when he got selected.
        Just to repeat my point (I re read my post and realize I may have been confusing)...there is still uncorrected requirements. LASIK/PRK or not if you vision is worse then 20/50 even before the surgery, you are DQ anyway...even if you vision comes out to be better then supermans....

Ask about current status on waivers.

Comment

Thanks for the info - honestly I've been pretty confused abt the vision requirements regulations. It turns out that PA will not have any aviation slots for the foreseeable future, so I will be discussing it with WV this week.

The other part of my plan (civilian flight training) is something I've always wanted to do anyway but only recently got time and money to do. PRK/LASIK is something I also want to get regardless but I'd hold off on it if it wouldn't qualify me for aviation.

Just to clarify...right now I'm DQ'd because of my vision regardless of surgery, so I should contact WV's aviation officer to check on availability of slots AND status of waivers?

Thanks for the assistance!

Comment

Also just to add, I checked and I'm close enough to Maryland to consider going there should a slot/waiver be available.

Comment

Thanks for the info - honestly I've been pretty confused abt the vision requirements regulations. It turns out that PA will not have any aviation slots for the foreseeable future, so I will be discussing it with WV this week.

The other part of my plan (civilian flight training) is something I've always wanted to do anyway but only recently got time and money to do. PRK/LASIK is something I also want to get regardless but I'd hold off on it if it wouldn't qualify me for aviation.

Just to clarify...right now I'm DQ'd because of my vision regardless of surgery, so I should contact WV's aviation officer to check on availability of slots AND status of waivers?

Thanks for the assistance!
              Yes, but in reality your first and most important question should be this....

I want to fly but I have 20/200000 vision. I will get PRK/LASIK can I qualify???

Start there.

Comment

Absolutely. I read somewhere that provided it was not worse than 20/400 pre-surgery and there were no post surgery complications, and it had been 6 months since surgery, a waiver was possible.
                Unfortunately I can't find that link. I do however have a friend who got Lasik in order to qualify, and is now in WOCS, so will get in touch with him to get more info.

Comment

Absolutely. I read somewhere that provided it was not worse than 20/400 pre-surgery and there were no post surgery complications, and it had been 6 months since surgery, a waiver was possible.
                  Unfortunately I can't find that link. I do however have a friend who got Lasik in order to qualify, and is now in WOCS, so will get in touch with him to get more info.
                  Just call the state aviation officer for the states you want. Links and friends wont get you a waiver. Even if the rules say it can be done, doesn't mean every state will do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X