X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS Scenario

IST's are increasingly more difficult these days with the drawdown, especially if you are E-5 and above. If someone was looking at getting into another states; is it hypothetically possible for Joe Snuffy from the FLARNG (Florida) to attend OCS in say..Oklahoma with intentions of commissioning in OK as a 2LT??

Re: OCS Scenario

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
    IST's are increasingly more difficult these days with the drawdown, especially if you are E-5 and above. If someone was looking at getting into another states; is it hypothetically possible for Joe Snuffy from the FLARNG (Florida) to attend OCS in say..Oklahoma with intentions of commissioning in OK as a 2LT??
    SSG, Are you referring to traditional OCS and phase II? In the Northeast during phase I, you had candidates from Connecticut, Mass, RI and New Hampshire do phase I in one location (usually in CT due to Stones Ranch) then when phase II started they did it in their respective state. I think states within one region will differ from another scenario with states in different regions.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      SSG, Are you referring to traditional OCS and phase II? In the Northeast during phase I, you had candidates from Connecticut, Mass, RI and New Hampshire do phase I in one location (usually in CT due to Stones Ranch) then when phase II started they did it in their respective state. I think states within one region will differ from another scenario with states in different regions.
      Not so much the phase. I get that different phases for different states may be elsewhere. I guess an easier way to ask it, is can you go to OCS and commission into another state? Regardless of where you go.

I asked the question the way I did, because in the Guard you are applying to your states OCS programs, with the automatic understanding you are seeking a commision in that state. What if you are not?

Comment

I was in a similar situation. I started NJ state OCS. Was PCSed by the army to MD, and bought a house near the border in PA. I wanted to switch to MD, DE or PA. I contacted all three OSM's. MD and DE very promptly said "wait until you commission". PA actually did the leg work to figure out how, and the best options. After several weeks of emails and research, it boiled down to me getting the paperwork ready for an IST with my chain of command and the second I commissioned the PA OSM being there to transfer and re-administer the oath. He offered to be at my commissioning ceremony.

The options are you can complete OCS, defer your commission, IST to another state the commission
        Commission and then IST
        Attempt to transfer mid-OCS which is a bad idea. Aparently a really bad one.

The NJ OSM showed us the 2LT vacancies and there were tons of them (on paper). Maybe 18 Infantry alone. I dont think there's a spot shortage (on paper) for 2LT's

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          It's been done before but it's much easier if it was right between two phases. For example there we was an OC that did State OCS Phase 1 with the state of NY and then Phase 2 with NJ and so on.

Timing is key. It's extremely hard to do the transfer if someone is in the middle of a phase.

Comment

Working...
          X