X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non WOCS pilots.

Could i fly helicopters and not be a WOCS. I plan on going through ROTC but do not know what i would need to do to fly after that.

Re: Non WOCS pilots.

Have this conversation with your State's Officer Strength Manager.

Comment

how would i'd do that. How do i contact him.

Comment

Originally posted by Holby58 View Post
        how would i'd do that. How do i contact him.
        You are not ready.

Comment

You sound like you're pretty far off from ever being a Warrant/Commissioned Officer let alone an avaitor, but it never hurts to have dreams and prepare yourself early.

The short answer is yes - Commissioned Officers from ROTC, USMA or OCS are pilots just like graduates from WOCS. In fact, except for maybe two classes in Aviation BOLC, do all the exact same training in flight school together.

If you're enlisted currently in the Guard, you should see what kind of Aviaton assets your state has and if you'd be able to compete for a slot as a commissoned officer. Many states, including mine, are overstrength on LT pilots and want Warrant Officers, so it may be smart of you to consider both options. WOCS is not long and shouldn't deter you from taking that route should that be your only opportunity.

For now, focus on being a good student and learning the basics through ROTC. They'll never select you for flight school out of ROTC if you aren't very skilled in the art of basic leadership. After you attend advanced camp and start your senior year, you should be going after that guarunteed reserve forces contract for Aviation, which means attending a flight board and all that good stuff.

Crawl, Walk, Run. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
          X