X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase 1 AMEDD OBLC distance learning

Hey, I just enrolled and started the online distance learning for oblc-rc. Looking for any tips or suggestions. Looks like it will take 80 hours to complete. Is that a fair representation? Are the post tests difficult? Do you have to take notes?

Just looking for some advice.

Re: Phase 1 AMEDD OBLC distance learning

Well, I have completed the DL portion of BOLC for AMEDD direct comm. It was a grueling, boring and all around waste of time. I would rec. that you take notes and def. pay attention to the modules in that there are post tests after. It would have been better if it would have included items that were useful for a new commision that was not prior military..D&C, uniform wear, etc. It was definately good information to have but could have been much more organized..Ie start from the basics and work into the more difficult subjects. Right off the bat you will complete a Land Nav course that is fun, but overwhelming when you don't even have a map and compass to hold in your hands.....

Comment

Look at it this way. Either you do DL and OBLC-RC, or you do the long course with the active duty folks, and 70B's/67J's and spend five weeks, 8 hours a day in class. Because you actually merge with the long course and do your three weeks of field time with them.

Comment

Roger that!

Comment

Given the option, I would recommend that everyone do the long course if possible. It's not required for the medpros, but I think it has advantages. Also the choice between the 9 week and 4 week course is a matter of state funding, units not knowing they can send a person to the long course, and obviously some medpros can't leave their practice for that long.

Comment

I do agree, but its not easy getting away from your employer for that amount of time either. I think the DL and 4 week course is a reasonable balance. I do believe that the DL could be structured better and I'm sure given some time it will all settle in. HOOAH

Comment

Orthopa
              I am in pretty much the same situation as you. Direct Commission to GA NG and Ortho PA-C (assuming we have that in common based on your user name) Not quite finished with phase 1 due to unplanned hiatus, but should finish the last module in the next week or so.
              Any word on the dates of phase II and do you know when you will be going?

Comment

peckdr,
                I'm starting phase 2 bolc feb 16. I'm looking forward to it. My advise is to sit down on the weekends and knock the phase 1 dl out. It's painful but then you can register for phase 2. Let me know when you get to go. Good luck.

Comment

orthopa,
                  Wow. that is soon. I am so close to being done with Ph 1. Modules G-06, G-07 and the post-test. I hope to be done by this weekend and going to phase 2 later this year. Not sure the other dates it will be offered. Be sure to post about the experience. Not much info available since they changed the format.
                  Good luck to you as well.

Comment

I will post my experience when I return, good luck

Comment

I am about to enroll in the Phase 1 AMEDD DL course...can you nice folks please tell me what it consists of? I mean what does it teach? is it custom and courtesies? uniform wear? Army history? help me out if you can. Thanks :-)

Comment

iObserve,

Most of the modules consists of Army policies. Laws of War, Effective Leadership and communication, Army writing style, unit organization, rules on vehicle and equipment accountability. Things like that. Early on there is a Land nav lesson and a lesson on the marksmanship basics. Nothing on Uniform Wear or Custom & Courtesies. I had to pick that up on my own during drill weekends. Take good notes as it may take at least a few days to get through a module and the post-tests are fairly specific, but not too difficult.
                        Hope that helped.

Peck, 1LT
                        2/121

Comment

Just completed BOLC. Every long course student I talked to wished they had the DL avail. to them. They all felt the time spent at Ft. Sam was overkill and I would agree based on what I experienced. That having said the entire four weeks at BOLC could have been completed in one week if you discarded the hurry up and wait factor. There was an exceedingly great amt. of wasted time and that was quite frustrating. They say the Army is all about 'Hurry up and wait".

Comment

72D environmental science officer, waiting for board decision nextweek. Does anyone still have their pre-BOLC phase 1 study material? I'm trying to knock off some of those 80 hours before my commission actually goes through.
                            Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X