Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nervous about OCS

Originally posted by McB97 View Post
    Do you get a lot of homework with State OCS? And what can I expect as far as PT goes?
    If you download the OC Guide from the link I posted you will see the requirements for the course.
    Then you can guage where you are and what you need to do to get to a 10 mile ruck march with
    ~50 lbs, or a 3 mile company run, or the PT test.

Also 9999 posted some good information. Another BIG event we had that really takes tons of time
    (during Traditional ph 2) was Peer Evals. We had these 2 different months. You basically fill out
    an evaluation form for each candidate. Ranking them 1-4 on certain categories. We had about 20
    candidates and it took A LOT of time. The first one we did ~70% of our class just blew them off, and
    we got smoked profusely. The next time we had them took even longer.

@Paleo - Just get a copy of your states OC guide and memorize the mandatory information (TLP's and
    OPOrders, etc.). On the physical part you are definitely on point for success. 2 caveats on those ruck
    marches. Make sure you are wearing the boots you are going to use in OCS. Go ahead and prepare to
    buy yourself a pair of high speed Danners, Rockies, Nike, NB or something. You won't be issued them
    but you need to have a pair IMO. Break them in before you go (Nike boots are good for marches done
    on the road and don't need broke in). Also, when you do a road march you need to learn how to really
    hump it without the natural arm swing us humans have when we walk. You will be holding a plastic M16.
    It doesn't seem like much, but it doesn't allow you the natural arm swing that gets your body in motion.
    I did my practice rucks clinching my hands together, then for the 10 miler I practiced with a 3 foot piece
    of pvc pipe. Did I look crazy? Yes. The neighbors got used to it though.

2LT scj

Comment

If you have the option to go to Federal OCS, go to Federal OCS. Prior to leaving for BCT, get in decent shape, use BCT to get in better shape and you will not have any problems at OCS. I was also nervous about it prior to going, but I met some great people, had a great time and wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. You'll be fine. Just know that you can do it.

Comment

2LT scj

Thanks for the advice. Im headed out tonight for PVC and Ill get to ordering boots.

Already have a copy of the OCS guide on the way.

And just FYI for anyone else, I bought the book "Give me my **** bar" on amazon and loved it. Great example of Federal OCS but he had good OCS tips in general in there.

Helped take away some of the nervousness.

Comment

I just completed BCT at Fort Sill and will begin traditional OCS in June as well. I am pretty much preparing the same way i.e. keeping up on PT, my own ruck marches ect...

I am focusing on the ruck marches as I have short, little legs and I am working on lengthening my stride. I handled the weight and distance fine at BCT but had to 'run' almost every ruck march....LOL I am up to five miles and 20 lbs in my ruck, but will be increasing both by summer; I also wear my current boots, which are broken in really well, but will consider getting some nicer ones. I already run 3 miles a day, so that's not an issue.

I have heard that (at OCS) there are alot of pull ups and rope climbing?.... and that causes me some pause as I minimally tore my lateral epicondyle (the muscle in your forearm by your elbow) at BCT and am currently undergoing physical therapy. I can do push ups, but gripping and squeezing cause pain.

I currently work full time for my State gov't and go to school full time on top of the Guard, so I think I may need to go down to part time to accomodate the OCS commitment. I have heard that many steer clear of the traditional OCS because they don't like being treated like a 'week 0' for 13 months; is there any validity in this assumption? Or, like BCT, does it get better with time?

Comment

^^^^^Biggest key to ruck marching is shorter, faster steps. I'm not very tall either(5'5) but I can ruck at a 13.30 mile pace without any running. My workout buddy has to jog to keep up with my walk and he is a few inches taller than me. Short fast steps and get your arms swing involved. It takes practice but it's better than doing an airborne shuffle and it's easier on your joints. Another thing that helps is learning how to strike mid foot as opposed to on the heel. Again it takes practice but I'm getting faster using the mid foot strike.

Comment

Chris what state?

You will do "The Numbers" before every meal. That is sit-ups/pull-ups/push-ups. ~30/8/25

If you stay accelerated, there are so many people that the ruck marches really stretch out. You aren't
              really in any type of formation during those.

I went Traditional. It gets easier to cope with, but it still *****.

Comment

Originally posted by scjohnny View Post
                Chris what state?

You will do "The Numbers" before every meal. That is sit-ups/pull-ups/push-ups. ~30/8/25

If you stay accelerated, there are so many people that the ruck marches really stretch out. You aren't
                really in any type of formation during those.

I went Traditional. It gets easier to cope with, but it still *****.
                That is why I am inquiring....I am going traditional as well.

I know it will take longer, but at my age, I want to have a little more recovery time in between weekends (BCT was a trip! LOL) I know I could do it, but at my age, they are not going to recycle me if I get injured, they'll just kick me out of the OCS program, so I want to give myself the best possible chance to succeed.

As of right now, I cannot do any pull-ups....Doc says no and also painful to try (which were not exactly my forte' at BCT anyways.....so I was hoping to get in some training before I go to OCS) I still work on my push ups even though they irritate my injury.

Even though there is no 'formation' for ruck marches, I always found myself in the rear......(I used to joke I was there 'on purpose, pulling security'..lol But it was mostly my short a** legs. I can carry alot of weight and do it all day....I just can't do it FAST, so keeping up with the young guys and their long legs was 'fun'...lol I did it though, never fell out or quit....but some 120 degree days it S U C K E D! LOL

I will be going traditional OCS in Michigan.

Comment

That's why I did Traditional.
                  You will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X