X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09S Soldier - Question

Currently in the OCS program (09S candidate) and I am wondering what the process is if one does not decide to be/end up becoming a commissioned officer. Since my current MOS is 09S (Officer Candidate) would I then be given a needs of the Army enlisted job for my Guard state or would there be a chance to choose a MOS (from what's available) and go to the corresponding AIT for said MOS?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: 09S Soldier - Question

I know a guy that did this, and he came back to RSP and reclassed (I assume at MEPS), then shipped off for his AIT and went to his unit

Comment

As someone who just commissioned a month ago.... I know that in MI you will go to whatever MOS you had on your contract as an alternate. Or they may simply just discharge you period. It is up to the State and cadre/OSM. I do know that if you fail to complete OCS in 2 yrs (as a 09S) you are discharged - period. We had a guy in my class that was dropped from OCS with prejudice and he was discharged and has to wait 6 months to reenlist (O9S), and he will not be able to go through OCS again.

Comment

cougar54,

You say one of your peers got discharged from OCS with prejudice... what were the reasons? I'm an 09S, enlisted back in OCT 2010 as an 09S, went to BCT in February, and so I really couldn't attend OCS until next year... which wouldn't allow me to graduate OCS within the 2 year period.

Do you have to GRADUATE within 2 yrs, or just be in an OCS class within 2 yrs? Or is this why your peer got discharged?

Comment

cougar54,

Why did your peer get discharged from OCS? Was it because his 2 years expired before he finished OCS? I'm enlisted as an 09S back in OCT 2010, and because I came out of basic too close to this year's OCS class, I had to wait until next year. So by the time my 2 year hits (OCT 2012), I would be in 6 months into the OCS program (out of the 18 that's expected).

Would I be discharged then?

Comment

I should have been more clear. You have to begin OCS within 2 yrs. of your enlistment date and we were told that if you dropped for any reason you were out.

The guy that got dropped was a blue falcon.... he was mt squad ldr on a lane and took a nap. Plus he was selfish - not what you want in a leader.

Comment

I should have been more clear. You have to begin OCS within 2 yrs. of your enlistment date and we were told that if you dropped for any reason you were out.

The guy that got dropped was a blue falcon.... he was mt squad ldr on a lane and took a nap. Plus he was selfish - not what you want in a leader.

Comment

My advice to you if you find yourself halfway through the program and deciding you dont want to be an officer is to finish the program and decline the commission, then you have 24 months from graduation to change your mind and commission too.

In my state you are basically given a choice. They might put you into a different MOS, even those different from what was selected at meps, at the needs of the guard, or they will discharge you.

Comment

Originally posted by cougar54 View Post

Beginning OCS within 2 years of your enlistment date is probably just state policy. We've had quite a few candidates begin OCS more than 2 years after enlistment date for a variety of reasons such as height and weight, bad timing with schools, etc.

As for your evaluation of that particular candidate, how was he a blue falcon and selfish if he was assigned the role of a squad leader and took a nap on that particular lane? Squad leader is an evaluated position in OCS so if anything he would have only caused himself to fail. It seems to be that he just straight up did not give a f - not necessarily that he was selfish.
                  Last edited by Polo08816; October 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

As for how he was a blue falcon? I would equate falling asleep on a lane (he was actually team ldr I think - I was squad ldr) being a blue falcon because he did not enable me to have as crisp as a mission as I could have. He was my communication line,etc. Yes he hurt himself but he also did not aid anyone else. Also, when in leadership (and out) he consistently passed the buck when he made mistakes. Not only did he do this to his fellow candidates but to the TAC staff (i.e. he said she said stuff).

No, he cared but towards the end of PH II he took on the don't give a f attitude because he realized the hole he dug was to deep to get out of.

Comment

Working...
                    X