X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS vs Enlisted Reclass

I am currently an E-3 11B in the VA Guard who just got out of AIT this summer. I will also be graduating with my BA in Strategic Intelligence as well as an AA in Criminal Justice in May. My original plan in enlisting was to do SMP and to commission MI through ROTC but of course, things never work out to their original plan. Long story short, I did OSUT in the summer of 2010, but got sick in week 12 of 16 (11C), so, rather than miss school going back to week 3 due to our backwards training schedule, I opted for the split-op option. PT was never my strong suit, and being out of it for almost 2 months in Basic messed up any chance I had at contracting when I got back. So, after doing AIT this summer, and starting my Senior year, it was completely unpractical to try to join our already overfilled ROTC program (I go to a very conservative, military friendly school). So, here I am, about to graduate as an E3 in something I don't really have a thing for. By no means am I not proud of what I have accomplished after sticking to it through medical problems and extra weeks of red-phase, but, the jock contest of the Infantry is not really where I feel the desire to be. In my civilian life, my career goal is to work in the government in Intelligence in some fashion, but due to budget constraints, there are no jobs unless you already have a clearance. That brings me to my problem.. I don't know if I should go AOCS and try to get Intel either in VA or PA (I live in DE, but they don't have much of anything), or if I should simply re-class, essentially to just get the clearance. I feel like I would be able to do the work of OCS, especially after doing 11B two times through, but I don't know if it would be the best choice for me in terms of furthering my careers, both military and civilian. How hard is it to get a branch that I would want if I were to go OCS? I know Active OCS is almost impossible to get MI these days, but I heard the guard was different. Any suggestions on options I could take would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: OCS vs Enlisted Reclass

With your background you should consider doing OCS in VA.

Comment

does anyone know what the MI situation is in VA? How likely is it that I could talk to my OSM, as well as my unit which I haven't reported to yet due to AT, and get released and a slot for AOCS sometime after graduation with a guaranteed MI slot?

Comment

You can speak to your OSM any time you wish to, he is a recruiter and should be readily available. Same goes with your unit, pick up the phone and tell them that you would like to go to OCS.

Understand AOCS is no joke physically, it makes basic look like day at the park. A good PFT score to have before you go is a 250.

Comment

Ok, I will talk to my unit as I get closer to graduating, and know more or less my job situation in the civilian world. If I get a job I love, that is in line with my career goals, I will probably not worry about going officer, or re-classing, and just staying Infantry. Hopefully in that amount of time i will be able to get my PT score up.. I would love to be around the 270 range before I graduate in may.

Comment

As far as the MI situation, just a hunch but im gonna guess they're way over the quota of MI officers with tons of people wanting to branch MI, pretty much like most other states. Aggrivated by the fact that it is VA and the number of intel things in the area, causing people to dream of james bond adventures. Not implying you are, but just my guess that's the case.

And yes, OCS in general is no joke. AOCS esspecially. In traditional you have some recovery time in between weekends.

Comment

Traditional also takes 2 years.. I have a friend who is an E4 with an intel unit out in WV and he says they are actively recruiting out there on the enlisted side, and they are attached to an SF unit, which he says makes for some pretty cool experiences. So, I might look into just doing something along those lines, as my main goal isn't to become a General, but to get my security clearance and pull a good analyst job in the civilian world, while still serving of course. And, no worries, I have been studying Intel for long enough in school to realize the humor behind people trying to get the jobs thinking they will be the next bond

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                Traditional also takes 2 years.. I have a friend who is an E4 with an intel unit out in WV and he says they are actively recruiting out there on the enlisted side, and they are attached to an SF unit, which he says makes for some pretty cool experiences. So, I might look into just doing something along those lines, as my main goal isn't to become a General, but to get my security clearance and pull a good analyst job in the civilian world, while still serving of course. And, no worries, I have been studying Intel for long enough in school to realize the humor behind people trying to get the jobs thinking they will be the next bond
                Perhaps then you should continue in your current MOS, and reclass as an E5. Traditionally, the E3/E4 slots in MI fields are overstrength. Most of the people who join for those MI jobs don't stay past their initial enlistment. Thus, while the -10 level slots are over, the NCO ranks usually have vacancies. The warrant officer slots are even harder to fill, which gives you yet another career option to consider once you make E6 in an MI MOS.

Comment

Great! Thank you sir. I will most likely just look to stay 11B for a while then, try and volunteer for a deployment after graduation, and see where I am after that, and what states need which people. I was golfing with one of the higher up's from the DE NG trying to recruit me for signal, but, I'm not sure that's my thing. I really want to do MI. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                  X