X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving between states as an officer?

I'm a college freshman attending Middle Tennessee State and I'm a flight dispatch major that's also training to become an Air Traffic Controller. I'm considering pursuing the SMP program and becoming an officer in the Guard. There is one catch. If I am to get into the flight dispatch/ATC business, it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to move. I know of IST and that you can transfer states to other units, but does the same thing apply to officers? I'm sure it's a lot harder when you've got a platoon or company under your command, but does it happen?

I hope to only move once while in the guard, maybe twice. I'd love to do it for a career along with my aviation career. I'd really like to get the guard to pay for my college too as the aviation field isn't exactly the most secure and avoiding debt would be awesome.

If this isn't totally reasonable, I've also considered enlisting in the Guard as an 88M or 11X as I'm sure that would be a lot easier to move around with.

Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by RaiderInBlue47; September 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM.

Re: Moving between states as an officer?

We transfer officers all the time. You are correct that you might not get your dream assignment upon arrival in the new State.

Comment

That's definitely okay by me, I just want to make sure I wouldn't have to face the decision of drilling in Tennessee while living in Colorado or going AWOL. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderInBlue47 View Post
        That's definitely okay by me, I just want to make sure I wouldn't have to face the decision of drilling in Tennessee while living in Colorado or going AWOL. Thanks!
        Answer to that: SUTA.

Comment

Working...
        X