Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular enlisted to Guard ROTC

Hello,

I am an active duty NCO in the Army and expect to separate in July. I am interested in pursuing a commission with the Oregon Guard after returning home, but since I have not yet finished a degree intend to go through the ROTC program. I have some questions about this process:

Since I have slightly over two years' college education, what differences will I see from another prospect entering at the ground level? Will the relatively short time required to finish my degree make it more or less difficult to find a place in the Guard?

Because I have access to GI Bill funds, having my tuition paid for is a nonissue. What other benefits, if any, might I receive in consideration of the financial burden being shouldered by Montgomery?

If any Oregon recruiters happen to read this post, I would very much appreciate any information available about openings for new officers. As I am currently deployed apart from administrative support my access to retention/recruiting personnel is limited.

Re: Regular enlisted to Guard ROTC

Bro, you will be light years ahead of everyone else in the ROTC. You may see other prior service in it as well, but you will notice very quickly that many ROTC kids have no idea what they're talking about. A friend of mine endured ROTC after an Active Duty enlistment, and he just smiled, nodded and did as told. Piece of cake; just see it for what it is.

Sometimes there are stipends or scholarships for ROTC contractees. It changes frequently and depends on the component.

Comment

I appreciate the reply and your input. When able I'll get in touch with some Oregon personnel and try to figure out some of the particulars.

Comment

You will come in as an MSIII as long as your college hours put you as a Junior. Otherwise, you may have to endure a semster as an MSII to get caught up in school. You will have a huge advantage over the other cadets in terms of general military knowledge and tactical training (depending on your MOS). Paying for school isn't an issue for you. Word of advice though, coming in with an NCO attitude won't help. In fact, it will hinder. The program is designed to to train officers and as such, the mentality is totally different.

Now, bad news. I just from a meeting this mornign with my PMI. For FY 12 and 13, the Army is projecting that they are way overstrength and commissioning too many new LTs. We are having to cut some JRs and Sophs that have *any* issues. a Zero Defect policy is basically in effect. So make sure you are on top of your "A" game and that you don't have to have a scholarship to commission...

Comment

Thank you for the heads up, all of that is good information. I don't anticipate a problem administratively, as I didn't require waivers to enlist or get through the clearance process and my conduct since has been good. Whether Oregon needs or wants could, of course, be another story.

Comment

Yes, in many states there is a void of Quartermaster officers. I know Oregon has transportation units as well. A good way of gauging where you might end up would be to research the ORARNG's units online and see what they have. A good rule of thumb is, if it doesn't sound sexy, it probably needs officers.

Comment

Working...
            X