Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be an officer?

Hi Guys,
    I am 13 years old. My nationality is Korean, although I can't read/write.
    My parents don't have Green Card yet, but we will get it within 5 years.
    When I turn 18, I will be attending college. I would like to become an officer, but is it possible? I am also wondering if I will be drafted into the Korean Army. I have lived here since I was 3 years old, and have never went back to South Korea.

Re: Can I be an officer?

I'm happy that you're excited about becoming an officer, although you do have a long way to go. For now, focus on school and work out, and you'll be half way there!

To be an officer in the US Army, National Guard, or any armed service, you must be a citizen of the United States. So, that is one hurdle you will have.

In regards to your Korean military obligation, that is something that you should speak to about with your parents. Remember that even if you were to serve in the Korean Army, you have the opportunity to be a KATUSA (Korean Augmentee to the United States Army), which are ROK (Republic of Korea) soldiers who are attached to US Army units. The service obligation is a tricky one as I have personally had friends (who lived in the US most of their lives) that aren't allowed entry to Korea anymore for refusing service. Ask your parents!

Comment

I think Korean is classified as a critical language, if you work on your reading and writing with it you can get enlisted without having a green card, then you could get citizenship without waiting 5 years. You may have to renounce Korean citizenship both to avoid conscription and to serve as an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Fallon View Post
        I think Korean is classified as a critical language, if you work on your reading and writing with it you can get enlisted without having a green card, then you could get citizenship without waiting 5 years. You may have to renounce Korean citizenship both to avoid conscription and to serve as an officer.
        Ummm...hate to break it to you, but regardless of any other situation he still would have to wait 5 years. We don't enlist people at the age of 13.

Comment

Working...
        X