Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ret Det (BN) Commander

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I will be taking command of a AA company in October while my BN HSC/FSC prepare to mobilize. My BC is looking for a rear det commander and it may be offered.

Anyone have experience doing company command and rear det command?

Re: Ret Det (BN) Commander

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster...

I will be taking command of a AA company in October while my BN HSC/FSC prepare to mobilize. My BC is looking for a rear det commander and it may be offered.

Anyone have experience doing company command and rear det command?
    I was thrown into a rear det commander position when I got to my unit after I first commissioned. It was rough with no experience as an officer at all! But since you are coming into command anyway, it's good timing.

But if you want to learn a good amount in a short time, I would def recommend purchasing 2 books:
    Taking the Guidon: Exceptional Leadership at the Company Level & Company Command: The Bottom Line . Both work hand in hand, and will teach you a great amount about leadership and leading the men. I think they should be required reading for officers and NCO's should read taking the guidon too. That's just my 2 cents though! lol. Good luck!

Comment

I'll be commissioning into a Rear Det Command, as well, at the Battery level. I'm super bummed that I can't get out of BOLC in time to go with my unit, but I presume I'll get another chance. Pretty much just posting to keep updated with advice. I'm definitely going to look into that book.

Comment

In retrospect, this will be a great experience. While you're doing it, you might not believe so.

Pretty much anyone who's with you in the Rear Det is there because they're either too new to deploy, or they're broken in some manner. This means that you won't have as much depth and internal network that usually holds a unit together. Take nothing for granted, and work to resolve all the broken Soldiers: medical discharge, admin discharge, bar to re-enlistment -- whatever it takes to either fix them or get them out of the Guard. Ask the current commander to leave behind at least one decent SFC who can help you maintain your sanity.

Comment

LTC Richie is right... While in it, I was FURIOUS because I had no idea what I was doing for the first few months. But thankful, I had our full time Retention NCO, and he was great in teaching me alto about myself and command. When they got home and I was put into a PL position, I thrived from the experience. I recently read Taking the guidon, and wish I had read it sooner. So hopefully people find it as helpful as I have

Comment

Working...
          X