X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracting with ROTC question

Hello all. I'm currently planning on having 30 credits by the end of next fall semester. My question is can I contract as an SMP cadet with ROTC at the end of that semester once I have enough credits and will they let me go on a church mission after I contract. I've already asked a similar question regarding leaving on a mission while in the guard but I'm wondering how that would roll with ROTC. Is it possible, or would I have to wait until I get back to contract? I ask because the way it's looking right now with our Gov. there might not be as many benefits and money available by the time I'd get back after 2 years. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Re: Contracting with ROTC question

I already enlisted in the Guard. I leave for basic training in January. I already asked about going on a mission while in the Guard and its good to go. My question is can I contract with ROTC, go on my mission, then come back and finish my degree? or would I have to wait until I get home?

Comment

I'm somewhat confused by your post.. are you already in the national guard and looking to contract or... someone interested in the smp program as a college student? That'll help me answer your question.

That being said, ROTC expects you to receive your commission in the time given, and that's your priority. If you're contracted, they expect you to complete your degree as a priority, superseding national guard obligations. For example, NGB regulations state that if a conflict comes with the national guard and ROTC or school, ROTC and school takes priority. Of course, that means it is very difficult to take a gap semester or year because that puts a break. Now, a lot of students in ROTC study abroad, but that is not considered a "break" because they are still working towards their college degree.

However, as a simple national guard soldier, I have plenty of Mormon friends who were in the Guard and were able to go on their missions. I believe they went into inactive guard for the duration of their mission trip.

Comment

the contract says you need to finish your degree within 5 years if you are on a 4 year scholarship I believe. I know at Drexel University ROTC members are allowed to do the Co-ops and come back to finish ROTC

Comment

When you contract with ROTC, you fill out your 104-R which is basically a degree plan by semesters and dates. The program expects you to graduate based on that form. For example, if you need 5 semesters to graduate, then you are authorized 5 semesters. If you fail out of a class or thus delay for academic reasons, its generally bad. Cadets end up having to take summer school or concurrnet classes at a JC, etc.

To want to take off for something like a mission, honestly, is not going to happen. Let's say you got really drunk and told your PMI that you are going to your mission, gosh darn-nit and he can't stop you. What would happen is that he would cancel your contract and you would either A) have to pay the money back to the Army or B) be contracted into the active Army and be shipped off to BCT.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! That's all I wanted to know. I'll just contract when I get home from my mission then. Hooah!

Comment

Working...
            X