Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the order: swear in then contract or vice versa?

So OCS is done, so happy for that I can't tell you how happy I am that it's over. I've received my papers to be sworn in (2 documents to be signed by myself and the officer administering the oath), but I haven't seen the contract.

Should I be concerned? Should I be signing the contract at the same time? Do I swear in now and then wait for a bit for recognition and then do the contract? I'm confused. One reason for my asking is this: I'm being told I have a monetary bonus available because of my branch. I've seen PVT's lose money at my unit because they didn't check to make sure it was the contract was accurate when they enlisted - I don't want that to happen to me.

Thanks for your help.

Re: What's the order: swear in then contract or vice versa?

You should have signed your contract before you swore in...

Comment

You mean you've graduated OCS? in that case there is no contract. You take the oath of office and are appointed a 2LT. If you're in a branch and assigned to a position in a unit that offers the bonus you'll get some paperwork to sign regarding additional military service obligation, but otherwise there is no contract just an obligation.

Comment

Also, I was told that the bonus control number has to be assigned and all the bonus paperwork signed BEFORE the oath of office is taken and signed. We did our bonus paperwork during Phase III.

LT show_stopper is correct about no contract. There are lots of little things that will lose your bonus, though, so make sure you read that paperwork carefully.

Comment

Nice gold addition there, Nelson. Congrats again

Comment

Thanks, man. Same to you!

Comment

Thank you! And such quick responses, too, amazing! The plan is to swear in tonight. I got the info about the "no contracts" bit - that will take some getting used to - and with the bonus paperwork, I did have a chance to read someone else's, but I have not been given mine. I guess the smart thing would be to hold my paperwork until I get the bonus paperwork submitted. It's not that I don't trust the recruiters.....
              p.s.
              advice and suggestions gladly accepted

Comment

Working...
              X