Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unconventional path to officer

Originally posted by Conor Fallon View Post
    I was not factoring the GI Bill, I was factoring in the Rhode Island National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program and the Rhode Island National Guard State Tuition Exemption Program.
    You may want to make sure you can still get that with just a 4 year enlistment. Honestly, there are so many factors to your plan that I'm pretty sure it won't work. Just pick a branch and go with it.

Comment

Dont mean to threadjack here but I have the same question. Couldn't someone join the guard then do PLC during two summers(along with AT i'd suppose), and then accept the commission into the USMC after that? Wouldn't the Guard have to release you since you'd be becoming an officer? I always thought they had to release you to a commissioning source(OCS,PLC,ROTC,etc.)?
      I think so, I believe it is DOD policy that the need for Officers supersedes the need for enlisted. I have seen some Army, Marine and Navy documents saying things along that line.
      You may want to make sure you can still get that with just a 4 year enlistment. Honestly, there are so many factors to your plan that I'm pretty sure it won't work. Just pick a branch and go with it.
      I can get the RI state programs on a four year contract I explicitly asked that to the guy I talked to from the RI ARNG.
      Last edited by Conor Fallon; August 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Ok I have briefly looked over this thread.

And I have not read every response. But I am a recruiter in a Army ROTC.

So I can tell you this.

You cannot attend another program ROTC past your Junior year (as you will have to contract) other than Army. You would need a conditional release to even sign the DD4 from the other services.

This being said, it is a conditional release. Meaning the Guard has no obligation to release you. Yes if you were attending Army ROTC it would not be a issue as you would be staying in the Army Family (Guard, Reserves, Active Duty). Now There are hundreds of regulations, and honestly I am not going to research this one out. But be carefull is my advice. You are going to use a Guard benifit to pay for your college and then leave. Most of these state benifits have stipulations. Such as for as long as you use the instate benifit you have to stay 2 years after or you will have to repay the money that was spent on you (this is a common rule for many states).

But I will go with my gut on this one and say, The Army National Guard does not "Have" to release you.

Comment

was not planning on doing the ROTC past the first two years anyways as I stated before so I would not be a problem.

Comment

Well then how do you plan to commision into the Marine corp without going past the first two years? The first two years mean almost nothing. They are an elective course that anyone can take and will not lead to becoming a officer.

It is the last two years that make you an officer

Comment

Originally posted by andrew.tischner View Post
              Well then how do you plan to commision into the Marine corp without going past the first two years? The first two years mean almost nothing. They are an elective course that anyone can take and will not lead to becoming a officer.

It is the last two years that make you an officer
              We are speaking to a wall here...he believes what he believes. I don't know why he asked us if he is sure he already knows the answer. Things look different on the outside looking in, he'll find out soon enough if he joins.

Comment

Working...
              X