X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Commission

Are there states still using the direct commission process to make officers? Has anyone actually ever seen a packet approved??

I am not referring to specialty branch officers (JAG, Chaplain, AMEDD) I am talking about good old regular line officers.

Anyone??

Re: Direct Commission

I went to FAOBC with two NG DC officers. Both said it took longer to get their DC packets approved then it would have if they went to OCS. I know in the NG they are very rare for basic branch officers.

Comment

What's the purpose of a direct commission for basic branch?

Comment

To fill specific officer vacancies with overqualified NCO's and WO who have the leadership and profiency to do the job without OCS and or ROTC.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          ... it took longer to get their DC packets approved then it would have if they went to OCS.
          Yes, as well it should. Key points on this topic:
          1. Direct appointment is not a substitute for OCS.
          2. This is a commander's program, not a Soldier's program. Thus, one cannot "apply" for direct appointment. The Soldier's chain of command must recognize the Soldier's potential.
          3. The key question is, "Why not just send the Soldier to OCS?" If the chain of command has no good answer to that question, then direct appointment isn't an appropriate venue.
          4. Direct appointment for special branches (chaplain, JAG, medical) is a different animal, and has an entirely different set of law and regulation. We'll commission a priest or surgeon at age 50 with a hearing profile, but not a platoon leader.

Comment

Working...
          X