Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question RE: Commissioning through ROTC, and subsequent Guard status.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question RE: Commissioning through ROTC, and subsequent Guard status.

I received my Commission as a 2LT through ROTC participation, and have subsequently submitted my FEDREC packet. The packet has not been approved yet, and it is unknown when it will be approved.

My question is this - prior to my FEDREC being approved, what is the status of my rank in the guard? I realize that I still get E5 pay, and will get pay back-dated to my Oath date once the packet is approved. But what about the rank I wear, and my signature block, and Customs and Courtesies? What needs to happen for the Guard to recognize me as a 2LT prior to my packet being approved?

Thanks.

Re: Question RE: Commissioning through ROTC, and subsequent Guard status.

You should wear 2LT rank and use it in your signature ect. You should also get paid as an officer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      You should wear 2LT rank and use it in your signature ect. You should also get paid as an officer as well.
      Just for the sake of argument - assuming the guard, specifically my chain of command, does not recognize my commission, because there has been no Federal Recognition of the event approved, what would I need to do to establish that I have been commissioned.

In this hypothetical scenario, the actual Commissioning (pinning on, oaths of office, etc...) is not at issue Rather, the issue is documentation - what documentation is needed to establish that, prior to NGB stamping the FEDREC, that I am in fact an officer.

Comment

What's driving this line of inquiry? I'm looking for the question behind the question.

ROTC has authority to grant commissions in all components of the Army. If you've completed ROTC's program of instruction and have complied with all requirements, then you've got nothing to worry about. The Department of the Army doesn't deny fedrec for reasons other than violation of law or regulation (e.g., you're actually a non-citizen and no one caught that, you're a convicted felon, your college degree is invalid).

If you want to get technical (which evidently you do), on commissioning day ROTC commissions you as an officer in the US Army Reserve (into the IRR Control Group). You execute the oath of office on a DA71, which is your federal oath of office. Then, you turn around an execute the oath to your State/Commonwealth/Territory on an NGB337. The fedrec process is what moves you retroactively from the USAR to the ARNG of your State, with an effective date of the date of execution of the oath on the NGB337. You really shouldn't drill with your unit until you appear on their unit manning roster (UMR), which won't happen until the fedrec process completes. I would expect 30 days. Check your progress here: https://apps2.ngb.army.mil/FedRecPac...psNetHome.aspx (GKO account and CAC login required).

I trust that's enough answer for you.

Comment

Sir,

The "question behind the question" is based on the fact that my LOA is within a unit who does not normally accept non-direct commissioned soldiers, and so there is mass confusion as to what my status is. I am relatively comfortable with the fact that I am "actually" commissioned - as is the unit leadership, but there is some confusion as to what I should be referred to within the Guard (the rank I wear, how I am addressed, my signature block, etc...) prior to my Federal Recognition.

I apologize for being vague - but I have some concerns about going outside the CoC. I am on an information gathering mission here, so that I can be knowledgeable when the conversation comes up again; I am not trying to out any of my leadership, as I respect them independently, and irregardless of this issue. I hope that makes sense.

If you would be willing and think you may be able to provide more information, I would tell you more about the circumstances offline (via PM).

Respectfully,

Comment

Working...
          X