X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Branches AND IST

I am currently a Cadet. GRFD Scholarship (PA). As of now I want to branch MI. I want to get into the intelligence field on both the military and civilian side.

If I branch MI I am looking for those security clearances which could make me more marketable on the civilian side. I want to move down to either MD, VA, or D.C. and work in D.C. in the federal law enforcement (any one of the alphabet agencies).

I'm debating going for an IST to D.C., however, they don't have a lot of MI slots but they do have MP slots and then the logistic branches (but i don't want to do those). How hard is it to switch from MI to MP and then get an IST to D.C after already commissioning?

Re: Changing Branches AND IST

You've made a hard situation far harder. MI needs very few lieutenants, but far more captains. Do MP for a few years, then pursue MI later in your career.

Comment

Originally posted by colin.c View Post
      I am currently a Cadet. GRFD Scholarship (PA). As of now I want to branch MI. I want to get into the intelligence field on both the military and civilian side.

If I branch MI I am looking for those security clearances which could make me more marketable on the civilian side. I want to move down to either MD, VA, or D.C. and work in D.C. in the federal law enforcement (any one of the alphabet agencies).

I'm debating going for an IST to D.C., however, they don't have a lot of MI slots but they do have MP slots and then the logistic branches (but i don't want to do those). How hard is it to switch from MI to MP and then get an IST to D.C after already commissioning?
      You should be advised that security clearances to the other alphabet agencies do not transfer contrary to popular belief. Yes technically MI people with TS/SCI clearances have the same level of clearance as an FBI Agent and all the other cool jobs, but your clearance is/was adjudicated by the DOD. All those other agencies will do their own individual background investigation all over again. It does not carry the weight that most people think. In addition, almost all those agencies polygraph in conjunction with their clearance background invesitgation, please educate yourself on what that means, and what the ramifications are for future clearance positions should you get a false positive on that test. Antipolygraph. org

Comment

Yep, basically right. Also, you say you wanna branch MI, but you want to get into federal law enforcement...why not branch MP? Also, speaking from working in the field and hiring my fare share of intel folks, if you want the best way and chances to convert your military experience into an MI job immediately... go enlisted and get a few years experience under you. If you want to wait it out and jump into a senior position later, that will be less work, more management, branch MI and retire, then we'll talk.

I've hired several SFC with MI experience over an LT any day. For federal law enforcement, a lot of people use DHS...specificaly ICE as a spring board. Get your degree in liberal studies or general studies and apply.

The thing with clearances and being a great way into XXXX or YYYY is kinda misconstrued. If youre get your clearance and you want to be a Defense contractor, then by all means...short route...there you go. But then you have to deal with being a contractor, which is a different set of pluses and minuses. As far as civil service wise, if an agency follows the rules, they cannot even ask you if you already have a clearance during the interview or make it apart of the hiring descision. Published guidance gives examples of questions instead like "This position requires you to be able to obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Do you have a problem with this?".

In some cases, already having a clearance can slow the process down at another agency becuase they ahve to pull those records, compare it against the new investigation (same answers, etc).

I'm not discouraging you from going any path, I'd just like you have a realistic grasp rather than the lure of easy money that isnt quite as easy as you think.

Comment

Working...
        X