Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being an officer and having a civilian job -

Being an officer and having a civilian job -

I hope I'm not re-posting a similar question but I haven't found anything that answers my question yet.

Currently I work as a web developer and I love my career in civilian life, in the Guard life I'm a PFC and work as a mechanic. So here's my question/s:

1. I have 93.5 semester hours of college - will that be acceptable to get commissioned as an officer? I am pretty close to getting my bachelors but after a few changes in my college career I now sit on a lot of credit hours. I heard that you only need 80 semester hours to commission and in order to become Captain you have to have your bachelors. Can someone confirm that?

2. I've always had an interest in becoming an officer. But my fear is that if I go the officer route, I will have to give up my civilian career. Is this true? I really enjoy my civilian career and I've put a lot of effort into getting where I'm at. However I am willing to sacrifice more than what I'm doing now for more of a challenge on the military end of things. I just don't know if the officer route will require a full-time commitment (even in the guard) .

3. If the above two check out, then how do I go about getting commissioned? Who do I talk to? I've already been attached to my unit for a year now but this is the first time I've considered the officer route more seriously. So I want to plug into the right resources.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Re: Being an officer and having a civilian job -

1. Need 60 credit hours to do traditional state OCS, 90 credit hours to do Accelerated OCS, and a degree to do Federal OCS. You need 90 credit hours to commission.

2. What do you mean by giving up your civilian career? If you get accepted to the traditional state OCS you could do OCS in a drill status for 18 months. AOCS is 8 weeks and Federal is 14 weeks. BOLC would depend on which CMF you get or choose.

3.Don't quote me on this. But I think you need to find out where the officer recruiter is for your area. Then they will help you build a OCS packet before you go to the local board. I think most national guard recruiting stations know where the Officer recruiter is. You will also probably have to talk to your chain of command. I'm probably missing some stuff so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Comment

2. There are many reserve/Guard officers that juggle demanding civilian careers. Also, it depends on rank and position. A Company 1SG has much to prepare for with the upcoming drill. Former President George W. Bush enjoyed a stint as a pilot in the Air National Guard. It boils down to good discipline and time management.

Comment

@MichaelPC - Thanks for the reply...What I meant by question 2 was when I finish OCS will I eventually have to go full-time or can I maintain a civilian career and an officer military career simultaneously. Fmcityslicker kind of touched a bit on it.

@Fmcityslicker - Thanks for the reply, that's good information. I'm pretty interested in OCS I just don't want to have to pick between the two. I love my civilian career as well as my military career.

Forgive my ignorance, but have either of you gone OCS? I'm new the forum so I may be missing that.

Comment

Being an officer is a lot of work you should think it through.

Comment

Originally posted by cvwebb View Post
            @MichaelPC - Thanks for the reply...What I meant by question 2 was when I finish OCS will I eventually have to go full-time or can I maintain a civilian career and an officer military career simultaneously. Fmcityslicker kind of touched a bit on it.

@Fmcityslicker - Thanks for the reply, that's good information. I'm pretty interested in OCS I just don't want to have to pick between the two. I love my civilian career as well as my military career.

Forgive my ignorance, but have either of you gone OCS? I'm new the forum so I may be missing that.
            No I haven't. But there are people on this board that have. Good luck.

Comment

@Chaplain4me - Thanks for the thought - I'm aware that there's quite a bit of work involved. I assume you're a chaplain from your handle? What's your thoughts? I'm really looking for some detailed opinions from users who are already officers (although I appreciate the feedback so far from others).

Comment

There are very few officers in the NG that do it full time. The majority of officers still have their civilian career. Getting a full time officer job is not the easiest thing to do because there is a limited number of them out there.

Comment

@RSP NCO - Thanks for your thoughts...Things are starting to become more clear.

Comment

Working...
                  X