X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resigning a commission?

All MSO's for officers are 8 yrs. I owe 6 to the guard and 2 to the IRR. If my 6 years are up to the guard can I resign my state commission even if they are planning to deploy?
    I know there is your state commission and there is your federal commission. I am not trying to get out of a deployment I am just seeking better carrer opportunity in the Reserves

Re: resigning a commission?

You shouldn't have to resign your commission... why would you want to do that? You would just finish your contract with the Guard then speak to a reserves recruiter and they will take you through the steps..

But be sure that the opportunity is better before switching. Just because the grass seems greener on the other side doesn't mean that it ACTUALLY is. I looked at this too, but after talking to a few people and weighing the options the guard was the better bet.

Comment

You have to resign your commission in the NG and request to be transferred to the IRR. From the IRR, a retention NCO can put you into a TPU unit.

If your unit is mob'ing, they may deny you transferring to the IRR.

Comment

you should just see if they would conditionally release you????? eh? Is this possible??? dd368? hmm?

Comment

I'm not gonna get a conditional release they are deploying. and yes the grass is greener on the other side when they have a captins slot open and my unit will not give me a capt slot cause they are CAV and I am INF. Also the reserve is offering me CCC which my broke a** state isn't. Anyway I know the ATAG can deny resignations but will he? I don't think my chain of command can stop me from resigning. And if I resign my state commission and it goes through will they just send me to IRR?

Comment

This article relates to an Army Reservist and can show that resigning is not a quick thing to do.

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/61443

Comment

Originally posted by DI1lt View Post
              I'm not gonna get a conditional release they are deploying. and yes the grass is greener on the other side when they have a captins slot open and my unit will not give me a capt slot cause they are CAV and I am INF. Also the reserve is offering me CCC which my broke a** state isn't. Anyway I know the ATAG can deny resignations but will he? I don't think my chain of command can stop me from resigning. And if I resign my state commission and it goes through will they just send me to IRR?
              Re read my advice. This his how it's done.

It's far from uncommon for officers to leave the NG for the USAR.

Comment

According to the A 135-91 which deals with sevice obligations I owe 6 to the guard and 2 to the IRR for a total of 8. I have aleady served 6. Can they still deny IRR because they are deploying even though my 6 to them is up?

Comment

"Q11: I am an ARNG officer and I have not yet been mobilized into Federal service. I have requested to resign my commission within the time periods set out by the policy. Is my Stateobligated to accept my resignation request?

A11: No. The Constitution gives the States the final authority on the appointment of officers to the state militias and the States are the final authority on whether or not a request to resign from a State appointment will be accepted"

I got it fromt the Post Stop Loss Mobolization Policy (NGB-ARH Policy #09-022) I don't know if there is a new one or not. Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by MichaelPC; May 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I have deployed before. don't know if that makes a difference. question is will they let me resign my commission? I talked to a JAG who said 99% of the time they do. I couldn't see them not. It would only be bad for them to send a low moral and disgruntled officer down range. And more important question is can my chain of command try and stop it? I'm not worried about the ATAG

Comment

All MSO's for officers are 8 yrs. I owe 6 to the guard and 2 to the IRR. If my 6 years are up to the guard can I resign my state commission even if they are planning to deploy?
                      I know there is your state commission and there is your federal commission. I am not trying to get out of a deployment I am just seeking better carrer opportunity in the Reserves
                      If you resign your commission, then you're out of the Army. The Army Reserve would need to reappoint you as an officer in the Army. What you really want is to transfer from the Guard to the Reserve. Get a letter of acceptance from your reserve unit, write a letter to the TAG explaining why you want to transition, and ask your chain of command for the formal procedure to get a DD368 (conditional release) signed. When you get the release, and inprocess into the USAR, they'll send a document to your State to trigger the process by which they withdraw your state commission.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                        If you resign your commission, then you're out of the Army. The Army Reserve would need to reappoint you as an officer in the Army. What you really want is to transfer from the Guard to the Reserve. Get a letter of acceptance from your reserve unit, write a letter to the TAG explaining why you want to transition, and ask your chain of command for the formal procedure to get a DD368 (conditional release) signed. When you get the release, and inprocess into the USAR, they'll send a document to your State to trigger the process by which they withdraw your state commission.
                        Then it must vary from OSM to OSM and state to state. How I posted it, is excactly how my OSM stated to do it and how I did it to transfer from the NG to the USAR.

Comment

if you resign your state commission you are not out of the army. You are out of the national guard. I've already spoke with a JAG on that. there is your state commission and your federal commission. I know I can resign my state commission. I guess my real question is, can my chain of command stop my state commission resignation or does it go to the ATAG? also with my 6 years served to the guard will they deny it? i don't think the state is short on officers

Comment

if you resign your state commission you are not out of the army. You are out of the national guard. I've already spoke with a JAG on that. there is your state commission and your federal commission. I know I can resign my state commission. I guess my real question is, can my chain of command stop my state commission resignation or does it go to the ATAG? also with my 6 years served to the guard will they deny it? i don't think the state is short on officers
                            You're getting too wrapped up in this "resigning commission" business. Focus on your goal, which is to switch to the USAR. Your state commission will take care of itself once you transfer to the USAR.

Your TAG has no obligation to grant your transfer prior to the end of your drilling obligation. In practice, I've only seen these transfers held up because of a legitimate reason, e.g., pending administrative or legal action, remaining contractual service obligation, non-compliance with administrative procedures, or unit alerted for mobilization.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                              You have to resign your commission in the NG and request to be transferred to the IRR. From the IRR, a retention NCO can put you into a TPU unit.

If your unit is mob'ing, they may deny you transferring to the IRR.
                              If you resign your commission in the national guard how can they deny you going to the IRR?

Comment

Working...
                              X