X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: resigning a commission?

I'm getting wrapped up on the resignation thing because people are not understanding that it's probably 99% sure that my chain of command will not just release me. what can I do to force my hand? also from what the JAG told me you have a NG commission and then a federal commission. is this 100% true because i am hearing from some folks in the brigade S-1 that it is not true?

Comment

Originally posted by DI1lt View Post
      I'm getting wrapped up on the resignation thing because people are not understanding that it's probably 99% sure that my chain of command will not just release me. what can I do to force my hand? also from what the JAG told me you have a NG commission and then a federal commission. is this 100% true because i am hearing from some folks in the brigade S-1 that it is not true?
      1. If you have given your chain of command a chance to work the issue, and there is no legitimate reason to keep you in service (e.g., you owe time because you took some incentive; or you are non-compliant in some legal or adminstrative aspect), then you may contact your State Inspector General.

2. National Guard officers have a state commission and a federal commission. You swore two oaths, you signed two oaths of office. Your promotion orders happen in the state militia first, and then gain federal recognition (which is when you pin on, and draw pay & allowances for the new rank). The state commission is really not the obstacle here. Once you get a signed DD368 (conditional release to join another military component), the state commission will take care of itself.

Comment

I understand what you are saying. My question now is this. I have completed over 6years in the guard. So according to the 6 and 2 deal I am eligible for IRR. I have already got the green light from a reserve unit. BUT my unit is deploying and I am on the forward. So I'm sure the chain of command won't sign a release. Is there anyway I can force it? do they have to let me go IRR? also I'm an infantry officer in a CAV unit. so why they want me I have no idea. Our state is not short officers. This whole deployment thing is making it really hard for me on the civilian side as well. I'm unemployed and they can't give us a straight answer on when we will deploy. it's been pushed back twice. So this makes it extreamly difficult to look for employment.

Comment

Also I didn't take anything so I don't owe anything in those terms

Comment

BUT my unit is deploying and I am on the forward. So I'm sure the chain of command won't sign a release.
            If your unit has received a mobilization order or even an alert, then that's a legitimate reason not to release you. I'm sure they'll release you after your tour's completion.

Comment

Well at that point I will be so disgruntled I am just getting out. The army doesn't really care about it's soldiers that's a lesson I have learned over the years. airborne school, ranger school, 285-290 on all my PT tests and "among the best" on my last 3 OERs including one from an active duty unit. And what do I get. I get to be a 1Lt for 4 years and get put in a CAV unit where my career can go no where. Thanks army. You know how to boost moral and attitude.

Comment

Can I just request to resign right now even though my MSO isn't up? I thought you could resign at any time. That would be idea, as I have no desire to be in the army. watching an officer who litterally called home to ask his mom if he could buy a new BMX bike on the last deployment and made captain already and was commissioned a year after me. Or a captain who lost his NODs while on deplyment, make major. And these both litteraly happened.

Comment

Can I just request to resign right now even though my MSO isn't up? I thought you could resign at any time. That would be idea, as I have no desire to be in the army. watching an officer who litterally called home to ask his mom if he could buy a new BMX bike on the last deployment and made captain already and was commissioned a year after me. Or a captain who lost his NODs while on deplyment, make major. And these both litteraly happened.
                  Very shocking examples LT.

Comment

Well at that point I will be so disgruntled I am just getting out. The army doesn't really care about it's soldiers that's a lesson I have learned over the years. airborne school, ranger school, 285-290 on all my PT tests and "among the best" on my last 3 OERs including one from an active duty unit. And what do I get. I get to be a 1Lt for 4 years and get put in a CAV unit where my career can go no where. Thanks army. You know how to boost moral and attitude.
                    These are things we all see... it's really just up to how much you can take. I just got word last week my CCC is cancelled due to "lack of funding"... so they put me in the Reserve component one, and that was cancelled yesterday. I'm pretty fed up with the way things are done too. My only saving grace is I love my guys, I can't picture not seenig those knuckleheads every month. Plus I don't want to leave them cause the LT that would take my place... Bad juju.

Comment

The grass isn't going to be greener in the USAR. They have thier own problems that'll leaving you scratching your head as well.

If you're still serious, talk to your commander and OSM for the process. I don't think a CR will work as the USAR will pick you out of the IRR with a DA4187. You don't get a new contract, even as an enlisted Soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        The grass isn't going to be greener in the USAR. They have thier own problems that'll leaving you scratching your head as well.

If you're still serious, talk to your commander and OSM for the process. I don't think a CR will work as the USAR will pick you out of the IRR with a DA4187. You don't get a new contract, even as an enlisted Soldier.
                        I know the Army as a whole has problems but the reserve unit is offering me a captains slot and MI CCC. So It would be a big improvement from my current position. I am also going into psychology for my masters so a psychops unit would be great.

Comment

Sir,

I am a 1LT with 1-116 IN BN and I am looking to resign my commission from the VA Guard due to career changes in the civilian world and possibly moving to GA or TN. My orignal contract when I enlisted as a private on Sept 23, 2006 was a 6x2. I went through OCS and received my commission on August 12, 2010. Upon taking commission I was obligated to 2 additional years of service from that date or original contract obligation, whichever was longer, which is my original of Sept 23, 2012. I spoke with my commander and I believe I just have to submit a memo stating I want to resign my commission and why, and that will be ran up the chain. I found a memo in AR 135-175 but it is for a conditional release resignation and not just a general resignation. Do you have a link to the proper format, and also, do you know the normal amount of time it takes to go through in VA? Thank you so much for the help.

1LT Morris

Comment

• elmures
                            elmures commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sir,
                            I am in the same position as you, I have 4 years in the Reserves (enlisted), 2 years in the Guard (Officer) my path of commission was OCS. Please could you give some advice how and when can I resign my commission?.

Thanks

Why not consider an IST sir?

Comment

Upon commissioning, you incurred a six year drilling obligation. The TAG can release you to the IRR. Write a generalized memo, stating what you want and why. Also explain why you aren't requesting a transfer to the Georgia Army National Guard.

Ensure that your Readiness NCO submits this using the G1's action tracking system (whatever it's called). That keeps the documents from getting lost in a sea of trivia. You'll speed up the process if you explain in advance what you want, and make a logical and compelling case for it.

Originally posted by mattwmorris View Post
                            Sir,

I am a 1LT with 1-116 IN BN and I am looking to resign my commission from the VA Guard due to career changes in the civilian world and possibly moving to GA or TN. My orignal contract when I enlisted as a private on Sept 23, 2006 was a 6x2. I went through OCS and received my commission on August 12, 2010. Upon taking commission I was obligated to 2 additional years of service from that date or original contract obligation, whichever was longer, which is my original of Sept 23, 2012. I spoke with my commander and I believe I just have to submit a memo stating I want to resign my commission and why, and that will be ran up the chain. I found a memo in AR 135-175 but it is for a conditional release resignation and not just a general resignation. Do you have a link to the proper format, and also, do you know the normal amount of time it takes to go through in VA? Thank you so much for the help.

1LT Morris

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                              Ensure that your Readiness NCO submits this using the G1's action tracking system (whatever it's called).
                              SATS (staff action tracking system)

Comment

Working...
                              X