Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Approval for OCS

Hello All,

I'm prior service enlisted, regular Army, in the process of getting a med waiver to go guard in Washington state. I'm interested in becoming an officer. My question is in regards to "commander approval" when it comes to OCS recommendations. How does this work? Is it required to spend time enlisted in your unit before a commander will give approval to go to OCS? Is this specific to Washington, or is it nation wide? I've spoken with a guard officer here and an enlisted recruiter, but I couldn't get an answer that was totally clear, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Thanks in advance!

Re: Commander Approval for OCS

I would be very interested in the answer to that as well. I have heard everything from 'Commander Approval' to letters of recommendation from other officers?

My recruiter does not know either.

Comment

I am confused on this so +1 on getting someone to clarify the approval process. I have passed my OCS board interview and have OCS in my enlistment contract (non prior-service)... will I need another 'Commander Approval' after BCT?

MG

Comment

Originally posted by MommaGrizzly View Post
        I am confused on this so +1 on getting someone to clarify the approval process. I have passed my OCS board interview and have OCS in my enlistment contract (non prior-service)... will I need another 'Commander Approval' after BCT?

MG
        Did you have to have letters of recommendation for you interview? Was it recommended?

Comment

My best friend went to Basic and AIT, then got to his unit and 2 drills later got into OCS. The "commander approval" he needed basically happened like this. The commander took him in the office, asked him why he wanted to go to OCs and a few other simple questions, then signed off on it. I don't think it's a big deal if you do your job and such. It's more for people who say they want to go to OCS but never come to drill, are always a hassle, etc. It's more a part of the initial screening than anything else. However it could be Unit dependant, with some Commander's being more involved in the process and harder judges of talent.
          The board is the more important part, once he cleared the board the commander approval was more of a formality.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
            Did you have to have letters of recommendation for you interview? Was it recommended?
            No, I wasn't asked for recommendation letters, other than the "personal references" from the initial entry application (which is the same for everyone OCS or not). I did have about a 20-min interview with the Colonel (and a small panel composed of a CPT and a WO).

When my husband went up for his WOCS board ***a long time ago*** (he was prior service at the time, AD and stationed in another state) he was asked for letters of recommendation though. So it may be a state by state thing.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by MommaGrizzly View Post
              No, I wasn't asked for recommendation letters, other than the "personal references" from the initial entry application (which is the same for everyone OCS or not). I did have about a 20-min interview with the Colonel (and a small panel composed of a CPT and a WO).

When my husband went up for his WOCS board ***a long time ago*** (he was prior service at the time, AD and stationed in another state) he was asked for letters of recommendation though. So it may be a state by state thing.

MG
              That could have also been due to the fact as a warrant officer you are expected to know your craft and have experience. The recommendations there are different that trying to become an officer, where you may not necessarily know anything yet, until you go off and they train you.

Comment

I am re-reading the sentence and trying to fill in the blanks put in place by the asterisks. Hilarious.

Comment

If you enlist as a 09S you do not need a commander's letter and the infamous "board" is a formality.

Comment

Originally posted by WUNgUN View Post
                    If you enlist as a 09S you do not need a commander's letter and the infamous "board" is a formality.
                    Excellent

Comment

Originally posted by WUNgUN View Post
                      If you enlist as a 09S you do not need a commander's letter
                      This is incorrect, a recruiter can enlist you as an 09S but that doesn't guarantee that the OSM (officer recruiter) has accepted you. Thus the reason you have to also pick an enlisted MOS.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        I am re-reading the sentence and trying to fill in the blanks put in place by the asterisks. Hilarious.
                        I did it THREE times trying to figure it out before going "OMG it was the user." HAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                          This is incorrect, a recruiter can enlist you as an 09S but that doesn't guarantee that the OSM (officer recruiter) has accepted you. Thus the reason you have to also pick an enlisted MOS.
                          I came into the NG OCS program as prior service and did not need a "commanders" recommendation.

OP, as long as you meet the requirements to attend OCS, you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

See above. If a SM enlists with the 09S MOS, they are guaranteed a slot in the OCS program. Whether thier temporary commander approves or not is irrelevant b/c once they start Phase 1, they are reassigned to the OCS unit under control of the Company Co there. They'll stay on the books of the old unit but this is mainly to do with them having thier TA50 issued out, etc.

Now, whether or not they pass the course is completely up to the individual...

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                              I came into the NG OCS program as prior service and did not need a "commanders" recommendation.

OP, as long as you meet the requirements to attend OCS, you shouldn't have any problems.
                              Sir, I did not mention anything about a "commanders" recommendation. What I said was that only the OSM can approve someone to attend OCS. Some OSM's require a commanders recommendation some don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X