X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Promotions

Hi, I am graduating high school and ready to ship out for BCT and AIT. I have received a scholarship to Georgia Military College and plan to ECP.

I was wondering though, are guard officer promotions as "fast" as active duty?
    I.E is it possible to make LTC in less than 20 years as it would be in active duty?
    You get the idea of what I'm trying to say, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to stay in the guard or go active duty at all. Please help me out with some great information here.

Thank You,
    Blake Neese

Re: Officer Promotions

Originally posted by Blake Neese View Post
    Hi, I am graduating high school and ready to ship out for BCT and AIT. I have received a scholarship to Georgia Military College and plan to ECP.

I was wondering though, are guard officer promotions as "fast" as active duty?
    I.E is it possible to make LTC in less than 20 years as it would be in active duty?
    You get the idea of what I'm trying to say, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to stay in the guard or go active duty at all. Please help me out with some great information here.

Thank You,
    Blake Neese
    Officer promotions in the Guard are really fast. I've been a 4th Lieutenant for about 10 years.

Comment

You could make LTC in 20 years.

However, compared to Active Duty, you're not paid to do much of your OES (CCC/ILE), not paid for all the extra time you need to invest for certian positions (company command, S3/XO ect) and all of the extra travel involved. For istance, I'm a company commander and have already spent 3 weeks this year TDY and haven't even done my AT yet.

Comment

Do a search for the threads on ECP while you still can.

I do not recommend choosing a career path based on the statistical likelihood of reaching O5 in 20 years. You really need to heed the words of Obi Wan Kenobi: go home and rethink your life.

Comment

Well I was just wanting to get an idea of what it's like. And I wouldn't mind the extra time so much itd give me something good and productive to do. I'm just trying to figure out after I ECP if i want to keep my scholarship going for 4 years to go active or stick with the guard become an aviation officer and try to do something civilian with that while I finish up my 4 year degree. I'm leaning more torwards staying part time in the guard. I have my life figured out.

Comment

To the OP:

Not to question your decision(s), but why do you want to go through the ECP? Yes you get your O1 in two years instead of 4 but it'll still take you four years (at least) until you actually start fulfilling the role of an LT in a unit. Plus, any time you spend as a 2LT after ECP DOES NOT count towards your TIS/TIG and in most cases you're not going to be doing anything. As I understand it, your main priority is to finish your Bachelor's Degree and report to a PMS every so often.

Comment

Well my commitment is over after four years, and I'm debating whether or not I want to try the Air Force then, I want to fly but I'm not so interested in helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                To the OP:

Not to question your decision(s), but why do you want to go through the ECP? Yes you get your O1 in two years instead of 4 but it'll still take you four years (at least) until you actually start fulfilling the role of an LT in a unit. Plus, any time you spend as a 2LT after ECP DOES NOT count towards your TIS/TIG and in most cases you're not going to be doing anything. As I understand it, your main priority is to finish your Bachelor's Degree and report to a PMS every so often.
                Unless there's been a change in the last few years, LT time does count. Becuase it counts, IMHO, this is the biggest negative to the ECP program.

I went to FAOBC with several ECP LT's who were 1LT's. Entering active duty as a 1LT, completing OBC and any follow on schools will put you at the 2 year mark. Given AC CPT promotions are currently around the 39 months, that only gives you 15 months or so to get PL time. Compared to your peers from other sources who will have PL and staff time. This will really put you behind the power curve, especially once you hit CPT and your OER's are no longer masked.

Comment

hmmmmmmm.......OERs..........hmmmmmmmmm

Comment

I meant....

hmmmmmmmm.......OERs........hmmmmmmmmm

you read to deep for meaning.

***SHHHHHH Chaplain Candidates do not receive OERs!
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I get at what y'all are saying, I mean I could not take the commission in two years and just the education, then try and go Air Force Officer after my bachelors degree, the only reason I'm even debating the Air Force is because of the planes, the odds of me getting to fly a fixed wing aircraft in the Army aren't that great, even though it is possible. Also, at that the planes aren't the greatest, theres not really anything the Army even has with a jet engine. I wish they still had the Army Air Core like they used to back in the day.

Comment

In the Army, your specific branch/job is not as important as your role as an Officer. The Army wants leaders and not neccessarily people who are skilled in a certain craft (those are Warrant Officers). If you really want to fly fixed-winged aircraft, the Air Force is your best bet but even then it's not guaranteed you'll get a pilot slot. If you want to fly in the Army and you decide that you'll take helicopters, going the Warrant Officer route is probably better. Keep in mind though that the Air Foce is down-sizing right now. It could get better or worse by the time you enter into the pool of potential Officer candidates.

Comment

Yeah, and as of now I'm even still thinking. I might change again in the next 4 years LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X