X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Officer

I have a lot of random assorted questions hopefully everyone can answer. I'm interested in trying for a commission shortly. I've seen varying info from doing research. My whole thing is that I don't mind putting the time in, but don't want it spread apart and not all at once. Being away at work for 2 months for the most part will be a problem!

1) I am almost done with college.. By the time I'm ready to enter into the national guard I will be around 28. Is 28 too old to be an officer? I know I'm not at the age cap, but was more curious what the average age is, would I be way above my peers?

2) Time served is kind of confusing. I know it's 8 years for everyone, but from what I can gather it's 6 years duty including training? then 2 more years where I don't have to drill, but can be called up in an emergency? Assuming I am correct about this, is there any shorter time for an officer? Also, when does served time start? OCS, or BCT?

3) If someone could walk me through the training process and time lengths. I've heard varying things about bct. Some have told me 2 weeks, then I heard minimum 2 months from other people. Do officers attend the same BCT as well?

4) I know OCS can be done traditional for 18 months which is great and perfect for me! Afterwards I hear there is BOLC I and II? What are the time lengths for this? So it goes, BCT, OCS and then BOLC I and II?

5) What are the chances of being activated for duty in todays military?

I know these are a lot of questions and a lot can be answered from a recruiter, but have heard recruiters will sometimes tell you what you want to hear. So figured I would see what you guys had to say first. Thanks again!

Re: New Officer

1. No, 28 is just fine. You will be slightly older than average, but since numerous Guardsmen complete OCS in a similar manner, you won't be wildly out of whack with your peers. Some will be 21, right out of ROTC, some will be closer to 40.
    2. Read the posts in the FAQ section.
    3. For OCS option, you will attend BCT for ~10 weeks with everyone else, and then complete OCS.
    4. You are correct on the Traditional OCS timeline (which may be longer, depending on when you graduate BCT and when the next OCS class starts). Depending on your officer branch, BOLC can last 4-6 months, served on active duty.
    5. Under current circumstances, expect to serve one year out of five overseas. We're on track to lengthen that timeline, but right now, that's the average.

Not all recruiters are completely professional all the time. In all fairness, sometimes recruits hear what they want to hear, no matter what the recruiter says.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      5. Under current circumstances, expect to serve one year out of five overseas. We're on track to lengthen that timeline, but right now, that's the average.
      I thought by 2014 there would be a 1:3 deployment ratio, as opposed to 1:5 (i.e. shorter, not lengthened)?

Comment

I believe the 1:3 ratio is for AD, and the 1:5 ratio is for AR/NG units. Again, proposed, not guaranteed. Right now I believe it is closer to 1:2 AD and 1:3 AR/NG.

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
          I believe the 1:3 ratio is for AD, and the 1:5 ratio is for AR/NG units. Again, proposed, not guaranteed. Right now I believe it is closer to 1:2 AD and 1:3 AR/NG.
          This is closer to correct. Depends on the state of course, with some deploying faster than others. Yet this is about the timeilne you are looking at now. They are trying to make NG 1:5 ratio

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! Also, I've been hearing different info about the needs in the guards. Some I have heard that there is always a desperate need for officers. Others that you won't get in unless you have prior service because it's stacked. Anyone have any info on the current needs?

Comment

It depends on the state. Nevada needs officers California has quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X