Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissioned Officer Aviation/Infantry Slots

Hello everyone! Glad to be here.

I'm currently an MSII Cadet down at Vanderbilt University with a 4-year scholarship in the process of transferring to the SMP. I'm still deciding between Infantry and Aviation .

Anyway, Iím very interested in finding an aviation or infantry slot, preferably somewhere in the North Eastern United States. A friend of mine got his LT slot flying OH-58Ds in the Tennessee ARNG and told me that Commissioned Officer slots (especially aviation) are very competitive and that I should get my name out to OSMs all as soon as possible... Well here I am!

Also, I was told by my PMS that Aviation slots are easier to come by in the North East and I won't have to wait very long for flight school. Is this true?

Any information would be appreciated. I hope I'm making sense.

Re: Commissioned Officer Aviation/Infantry Slots

Hello, Welcome the the National Guard forums.

Aviation is very competitive anywhere you go. It maybe true that there are more openings in the northeast. I can't see those numbers. I would suggest that you call the OSMs of the states that you are considering. They will be able to give you the most accurate information. If you want to track aviation you may have to go to a state that is not on your wish list. After training you could always do an interstate transfer. Sorry I can't be more specific on your questions. Feel free to give us a call at 1-866-529-1354.

Mr Mitchell
    Warrant Officer Specialty Operator
    www.specialty@nationalguard.com
    <blockedhttp://www.specialty@nationalguard.com>
    1-866-529-1354
    Recruiting and Information Support Services

Comment

Mr Mitchell,
      Thank you for the reply! What exactly is the phone number you gave me?

Also, I'm willing to travel to virtually any state. Can anyone send me a master list of OSM contact information? It's difficult to find...

Comment

I have no idea what we'll look like two years from now, but right now Virginia could use a few pilots. We're actually gaining a few pilot slots, along with a Medevac detachment. Contact Virginia's OSM.

Comment

Originally posted by CW2 Mitchell View Post
          Hello, Welcome the the National Guard forums.

Aviation is very competitive anywhere you go. It maybe true that there are more openings in the northeast. I can't see those numbers. I would suggest that you call the OSMs of the states that you are considering. They will be able to give you the most accurate information. If you want to track aviation you may have to go to a state that is not on your wish list. After training you could always do an interstate transfer. Sorry I can't be more specific on your questions. Feel free to give us a call at 1-866-529-1354.

Mr Mitchell
          Warrant Officer Specialty Operator
          www.specialty@nationalguard.com
          <blockedhttp://www.specialty@nationalguard.com>
          1-866-529-1354
          Recruiting and Information Support Services
          While there is nothing they could do to prevent you from ISTing (legally), I imagine you would probably burn a couple bridges ISTing to a different state when that state has just spent an untold amount of funding to get you through AVOBC.

Comment

LT, you are right about burning bridges. Aviation is a small community and it is not a good Idea to burn bridges. The number I posted is for the National Guard.com operators. We can answer any questions that you may have about the National Guard.

CW2 Mitchell

Comment

Originally posted by CW2 Mitchell View Post
              LT, you are right about burning bridges. Aviation is a small community and it is not a good Idea to burn bridges. The number I posted is for the National Guard.com operators. We can answer any questions that you may have about the National Guard.

CW2 Mitchell
              Roger that Chief. Although I did quote your post, it was primarily directed to the original poster. Again, this is all based what I ahave heard. AV is a very different world compared to being in an IN battalion.

I'm also willing to bet that the WO recruiter (probably another WO/CWO) is a better source of information and more knowledgeable for going into AV than an OSM (who probably has to deal with all branch accessions).

Comment

I appreciate the replies everyone. Still deciding what to do with myself... Very exciting!

Comment

Working...
                X