X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP, Split Option, and ROTC

Hey, I'm currently a college freshman with 27 credits and I'll pick up 8 more over the summer. I'd like to Air Guard I think, but I was wondering how it would all work out. Ideally, I'd be able to go to BMT summer of 2012, then go back to school for my junior year, and finish at tech school the following summer. However, I know ROTC does some sort of program over the summer for 5 weeks or so... would this conflict with tech school or could I go at a later date?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to finish college in 4 years, become an officer and get the GI Bill and have my tuition paid for by the Air Guard. Is it just easiest to take a semester off to go to BMT and Tech School, and then do the SMP option? Any advice on the best route and if it's possible to do split option for BMT one summer and tech school the next?

Re: SMP, Split Option, and ROTC

Originally posted by angprospect View Post
    Hey, I'm currently a college freshman with 27 credits and I'll pick up 8 more over the summer. I'd like to Air Guard I think, but I was wondering how it would all work out. Ideally, I'd be able to go to BMT summer of 2012, then go back to school for my junior year, and finish at tech school the following summer. However, I know ROTC does some sort of program over the summer for 5 weeks or so... would this conflict with tech school or could I go at a later date?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to finish college in 4 years, become an officer and get the GI Bill and have my tuition paid for by the Air Guard. Is it just easiest to take a semester off to go to BMT and Tech School, and then do the SMP option? Any advice on the best route and if it's possible to do split option for BMT one summer and tech school the next?
    Most of the people on this forum are in the Army National Guard. But from looking at the title, I guess it would be deceiving to assume there are many Air Guardsmen in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      Most of the people on this forum are in the Army National Guard. But from looking at the title, I guess it would be deceiving to assume there are many Air Guardsmen in the forum.
      Yeah I was aware of that, I just figured that there ought to be someone, whether their Army Guard or not, who had an idea of some options.

Comment

I heard a long time ago the Air Guard didn't do split option. maybe not, check. Important thing is that you will not receive G.I.bill benefits until you are fully-qualified, which means finishing AIT, or Tech School for the Air Guard. So your best bet is to go to basic and tech school back-to-back as soon as possible. Also, if you are in a state like Texas, we have State Tuition Assistance that pays for the first 12 hours of tuition every semester until you complete 120 hours, pretty sure that is for Air Guard as well.

I don't see why you couldn't go to basic and tech school right after this semester, the sooner you finish, the sooner you get G. I. bill benefits.

As far as I know, the Air Force does NOT have an SMP ROTC program, but they do have plain old ROTC. Good question about Air also is do they let you serve your officer time as a Guardsman or not? I think they make all of their ROTC O-1s go active duty. Another question is do all of the Air Force ROTC guys make it all of the way to graduation? I have read somewhere they kick a few off the program on a whim.

Comment

As a newly former Air Force cadet I can say that it is easy to be "kicked." Sophmore cadets or "AS200s" must compete for Field Training Enrollment Allocations in order to proceed to the Junior year of AFROTC. The bar has been raised in recent years and a lot of cadets are not making the cut. You have the option of remaining in the program and competing the following year for an EA slot but it is still not guaranteed to you. Your chances might increase if your Commander puts you high on his list.

FYI: For non-tech majors, there was a 47% selection rate for this year for EA slots nationwide. Overall, the selection rate was 59.7% nationwide for all Air Force Cadets.

Comment

Exactly. The Air Force is overstrengthed right now and they're cutting everyone they can. If I were you, I'd re-evaluate my desire to join the Air Force. Not that it's a bad way to go (probably one of the best in-fact) but right now it might not be worth it. Chances are you'll find a lot more slots in the Army National Guard, and they'll definitely have some benefits (G.I Bill and/or Kicker, Federal/State Tuition Assistance, Drill Pay) for you to take advantage of. If you want to become an officer, you can always look into Army ROTC, but I don't think working your ***** off in Air Force ROTC for an advancement slot that's not even guaranteed and with only a slightly over half chance of getting a slot is something you should be spending your time with. Just inputting my opinion, definitely do your research though. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X