X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Question Regarding SRP & ROTC

Before I ask my question, I'll clarify that I'm an enlisted soldier and a student at a university enrolled in ROTC but am not contracted yet for SMP. According to a memorandum that the commander of the ROTC Battalion has shown to me, I'm not allowed to be deployed as long as I'm enrolled full-time in school and am enrolled into ROTC regardless of being a contracted cadet or not.
    If my unit's Readiness NCO tells me last minute that I have SRP this weekend instead of my normal drill for a later deployment and I attend SRP this weekend, can the LTC (commander of my ROTC Battalion) still put a void on my deployment status after I attend SRP?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Re: Urgent Question Regarding SRP & ROTC

In situations such as this, it's important to keep your wits about you, and ensure that you not conflate several different issues at once.

1. There's nothing wrong with you attending an SRP. All this does is determine eligibility to mobilize. We SRP all kinds of people who don't mobilize. It may not be the best use of resources to SRP someone whom we have no intention of mobilizing, but it's not illegal or immoral.
    2. What did your chain of command say when you raised this issue? Your unit commander can end this with one memorandum of record, taking you off the SRP list.
    3. Your ROTC commander has no relevance to your mobilization. The DA G1 policy letter regarding mobilizing ROTC cadets is relevant, however.

You remember your general orders from Basic -- they remain relevant. Do not quit your post until properly relieved.

Comment

Just go to the SRP. If they've got medical/shots, then the unit will probably need to show up to get the needed numbers. Readiness is a "hot" issue recently and SRP's are way of measuring that. Doesn't mean you're going to deploy.

I wouldn't try pitting your commander against your PMS, as you'll be the looser in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        In situations such as this, it's important to keep your wits about you, and ensure that you not conflate several different issues at once.

1. There's nothing wrong with you attending an SRP. All this does is determine eligibility to mobilize. We SRP all kinds of people who don't mobilize. It may not be the best use of resources to SRP someone whom we have no intention of mobilizing, but it's not illegal or immoral.
        2. What did your chain of command say when you raised this issue? Your unit commander can end this with one memorandum of record, taking you off the SRP list.
        3. Your ROTC commander has no relevance to your mobilization. The DA G1 policy letter regarding mobilizing ROTC cadets is relevant, however.

You remember your general orders from Basic -- they remain relevant. Do not quit your post until properly relieved.
        So I attended the SRP and got all of my records/medical records up to date. They also told me that I had no option but to transfer to the unit that's deploying according to the LTC and the CPT that I was talking to at RSP about my matter. No means of disrespect to the officers that I was discussing this matter with, but it seemed like they were pulling my strings and forcing me to go with the deployment rather than answering my questions. It was the feeling sort of like a recruiter trying their absolute hardest to enlist me.

The deployment is not until November, and I'm still going to try to contract SMP for NG/ROTC by June. That's my main focus right now. I do know that texas units in the national guard works by slots. So when I do get contracted as SMP, I'm just going to be listed as a cadet instead of enlisted.

Comment

Working...
        X