X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commisioning

Anyone know if I can use my credentials as a registered nurse to commission but into a different field/branch?

A buddy of mine is currently a captain in civil affairs. He got his RN and took the commission but into civil affairs directly. I asked him if he had to do OCS, he said no, I'm a registered nurse. He's currently on deployment and can't get in touch with him to ask him directly.

Is there a way for me to do this?

Re: commisioning

Originally posted by vernk View Post
    Anyone know if I can use my credentials as a registered nurse to commission but into a different field/branch?

A buddy of mine is currently a captain in civil affairs. He got his RN and took the commission but into civil affairs directly. I asked him if he had to do OCS, he said no, I'm a registered nurse. He's currently on deployment and can't get in touch with him to ask him directly.

Is there a way for me to do this?
    Is he in the USAR or ARNG? DC (outside of professional branches) are a lot less common in the ARNG than the USAR.

I can't imagine DC'ing an RN to do something not AMEDD related and into CA without ever having gone through OCS/ROTC and a basic branch OBC.

Obviously I am not saying I'm the expert in the DC process and branching, but I didn't think of AMEDD as a "feeder" branch into CA. Not only that, most CA units take only 1LT and higher.

Comment

The USAR really abuses the DC process allowing DC into basic branches. Your friend did not DC into Civil Affairs branch but is probably filling a staff role in a CA unit.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        The USAR really abuses the DC process allowing DC into basic branches. Your friend did not DC into Civil Affairs branch but is probably filling a staff role in a CA unit.
        +1. Vernk, if that is the case, have this person email you with the details.

And I do know many nurses in the Nurse Corps that work in CMA (G9) positions.

Comment

Is the USAR that short on company grade officers in the basic branches?

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
            Is the USAR that short on company grade officers in the basic branches?
            It's so bad, it's actually rare for an officer to have gone through OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              It's so bad, it's actually rare for an officer to have gone through OCS.
              I know I'm relatively new to the ARNG compared to you all, but if one's state is unable to provide interesting assignments, promotion potential for M-day officers, Hooah schools, etc. how is that state able to retain talent relative to the USAR?

Comment

Working...
              X