Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What to branch? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: What to branch?

    Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
    Karma in Sea Side, NJ.
    HAHAHAHAHA! O man hahaha. That was great. I don't mean snooki's!

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: What to branch?

      Sorry to revive an old thread, but we got our branch assignments last drill, and my 1-13 Infantry didn't seem to work, as I got FA, which was my third choice. While I was disappointed at first, I have now embraced becoming a Red Leg, and can't wait to get to BOLC at beautiful Fort Sill. At least its a quick drive from my house in Arlington!!

      I was assigned back to my original unit, HHC for an IN BN, so I'm guessing I'll be assigned as a FSO for one of the line companies in the BN after BOLC?

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: What to branch?

        knelson,

        Did you finish up phase 2 last drill? We just had our dining in and last phase 2 drill. We got to phase 3 in AMA, the last week of July and first week of august, so plenty of time to get out of shape and fat prior to going into sweltering heat.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: What to branch?

          Not yet, we've got one more drill, 8-10 July, then we're off to Fort Lewis, WA, for Phase 3, same time frame as your Phase 3.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: What to branch?

            Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
            knelson,

            Did you finish up phase 2 last drill? We just had our dining in and last phase 2 drill. We go to phase 3 in AMA, the last week of July and first week of august, so plenty of time to get out of shape and fat prior to going into sweltering heat.
            I am glad I am not you after what I saw down there last week.

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: What to branch?

              Yes, I'm reviviing this old thread to avoind redundancy....even though this one did seem to vere off into 10 different directions.

              My OCS recruiter has requested my list of branch preferences and although the final decision will be based on the neds of my state and my preferences, I was hoping any officers out there would be willing to offer suggestions or pros and cons of their branch.

              I have searched the word 'branch' and read most of the threads and done extensive research on the internet, but would like some first-hand impressions.

              A few notes:

              1. I am a female so recommending armor, infantry, etc really doesn't help me.

              2. I am not particular about any branch as of yet, hence my thread, but I am interested in one that offers more career progression and opportunites to become Platoon Leader, Company Commander, etc..

              3. My civilian job is in the administrative field for State Gov't so I'd prefer to steer clear of A.G. and/or Finance, (I already do ALOT of that) unless that's what is really needed by my state.

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: What to branch?

                Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                Yes, I'm reviviing this old thread to avoind redundancy....even though this one did seem to vere off into 10 different directions.

                My OCS recruiter has requested my list of branch preferences and although the final decision will be based on the neds of my state and my preferences, I was hoping any officers out there would be willing to offer suggestions or pros and cons of their branch.

                I have searched the word 'branch' and read most of the threads and done extensive research on the internet, but would like some first-hand impressions.

                A few notes:

                1. I am a female so recommending armor, infantry, etc really doesn't help me.

                2. I am not particular about any branch as of yet, hence my thread, but I am interested in one that offers more career progression and opportunites to become Platoon Leader, Company Commander, etc..

                3. My civilian job is in the administrative field for State Gov't so I'd prefer to steer clear of A.G. and/or Finance, (I already do ALOT of that) unless that's what is really needed by my state.

                Thanks!
                Thought about Quartermaster, Ordnance, or Transportation?

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: What to branch?

                  Thought about quartermaster, transportation, or ordnance?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: What to branch?

                    Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                    Thought about quartermaster, transportation, or ordnance?
                    I've 'thought' of them all (gender permitting); my civilian boss was a Q.M. officer and my boyfriend was a transportation... I'm just looking for pros and cons, likes and dislikes, perks and downsides to branches from those who have been in or are in them.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: What to branch?

                      If your search has been as thorough as you claim, you're probably not picking up a lot of new information here. To start, by virtue of being a female, the subset of branches you are eligible to serve in reduces the amount of feedback you're going to get here. For example, as a combat arms guy, nothing I can tell you about my branch will help you make your decision.

                      What types of units are in your state? I don't recall seeing any lists of branches available for female officers in Michigan, assuming that's where you are. The Michigan ARNG site seems to be down, so I couldn't look for myself.

                      Additionally, you might get more feedback by asking about specific branches. Your question is pretty broad at this point which makes it difficult to offer you any help.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: What to branch?

                        Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                        If your search has been as thorough as you claim, you're probably not picking up a lot of new information here. To start, by virtue of being a female, the subset of branches you are eligible to serve in reduces the amount of feedback you're going to get here. For example, as a combat arms guy, nothing I can tell you about my branch will help you make your decision.

                        What types of units are in your state? I don't recall seeing any lists of branches available for female officers in Michigan, assuming that's where you are. The Michigan ARNG site seems to be down, so I couldn't look for myself.

                        Additionally, you might get more feedback by asking about specific branches. Your question is pretty broad at this point which makes it difficult to offer you any help.
                        My research has only produced the basic information of job duties and required training, what I am asking for is personal impressions of branches that officers are in or have been in. i.e. my boss loved Quartermaster as it had to do with global logistics and also had some favorable opinions about his stint as a MI officer as well. Some MP's have told me they like their branch (especially in Michigan....which IS where I am) because the advancement opportunity goes up to 2-star.

                        I will find out more specifically what is available in my state when I attend a leadership reception for OCS in February, but my OCS recruiter wants me to show up with a preference list.

                        I am not asking about a specific branch as I am willing to listen to personal opinions about any branch that a female can also hold. I am not trying to be vague, just open to all opportunities and as there are not a plethra of regularly contributing officers on the site, I did not want to limit myself.

                        I am not seeking any 'new' information in regards to the job duties; I am, as I stated, ''.....looking for pros and cons, likes and dislikes, perks and downsides to branches from those who have been in or are in them...''

                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: What to branch?

                          I understand what you are asking and I am telling you again that your question is too vague. I find it difficult to believe that based on your research you don't already have some branch preferences. If that is the case, your lack of focus and seeming inability to make some decisions based on what you DO know are alarming to me as a company commander currently fielding new LTs. You don't even what your options are based on not knowing what units are in your state.

                          There are a lot of variables that go into evaluating branches. For example, as an Engineer Officer, in a state with a lot of Engineer assets, career advancement opportunties are a pro. However, the closest Engineer units are 3 hours away which means I drive quite a ways to drill every weekend - which *****, and is a con - but it comes with the job. In my state Infantry Officers are a dime a dozen; this is a con...PL slots are hard to come by and there's little advancement within the branch past O3...do you see where I am going with this?

                          You might want to reach out to your recruiter or the state OSM and inquire about branch availability as career advancement opportunities should be an important consideration. You may not want to try to go QM (or whatever) if there is only one unit in the state because you'll hit the ceiling faster than you might in another branch. Have you considered your tolerance for traveling to drill? If you don't want to drive 3-4 hours each way on drill weekend, knowing what types of units are close to you may be determining factor in what you want to branch.

                          Do you see where I'm going with this? Before you ask people to take the time to square you away on the ins and outs of their branch, maybe you could do your audience a favor by doing some research and letting us know what your preferences are and what your options are.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: What to branch?

                            Understood.

                            Thank You.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: What to branch?

                              Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                              I understand what you are asking and I am telling you again that your question is too vague. I find it difficult to believe that based on your research you don't already have some branch preferences. If that is the case, your lack of focus and seeming inability to make some decisions based on what you DO know are alarming to me as a company commander currently fielding new LTs. You don't even what your options are based on not knowing what units are in your state.

                              There are a lot of variables that go into evaluating branches. For example, as an Engineer Officer, in a state with a lot of Engineer assets, career advancement opportunties are a pro. However, the closest Engineer units are 3 hours away which means I drive quite a ways to drill every weekend - which *****, and is a con - but it comes with the job. In my state Infantry Officers are a dime a dozen; this is a con...PL slots are hard to come by and there's little advancement within the branch past O3...do you see where I am going with this?

                              You might want to reach out to your recruiter or the state OSM and inquire about branch availability as career advancement opportunities should be an important consideration. You may not want to try to go QM (or whatever) if there is only one unit in the state because you'll hit the ceiling faster than you might in another branch. Have you considered your tolerance for traveling to drill? If you don't want to drive 3-4 hours each way on drill weekend, knowing what types of units are close to you may be determining factor in what you want to branch.

                              Do you see where I'm going with this? Before you ask people to take the time to square you away on the ins and outs of their branch, maybe you could do your audience a favor by doing some research and letting us know what your preferences are and what your options are.
                              Sir,

                              Probably while you were typing this, I was already in the middle of doing what you suggested. Narrowing down in terms of number of units, advancement opportunity, proximity to my home, description of duties and special qualifications, I have narrowed it down to Military Police or Transportation; which is ironic as those were my 'picks' before starting my research. My first choice was actually 42A (...and I have read the other thread on limited career progression) but I already do that job now for a M.G. so it seemed a natural choice.

                              My intent was not to give the impression of a lack of focus, but my OCS recruiter is simply out of town and I was trying to put the 'cart before the horse' in terms of gaining information.

                              I appreciate your candor and if you have any pertinant information that you can offer in regards to the Transportation or Military Police branches, I would be interested in hearing it.

                              Thanks again.
                              Last edited by Chris36; December 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: More info

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: What to branch?

                                I will admit to not knowing much about either branch. Based on what I do know, I think there are better training opportunities for MPs than transportation - More weapons time, combatives, combat convoy training, crowd/riot control, patrolling, stuff like that. Those same field training / high intensity training events may not be of interest to you. Also, from a personality standpoint, I think being an MP caters more to an aggressive personality, at least at the company-grade level. I think you're more likely to do combat oriented training events as an MP...

                                Transportation is kind of the opposite in some ways...lots of focus on logistics, convoy movements, cross-unit communication, etc. It is challenging and rewarding, but different in many ways.

                                Again, I don't have any firsthand experience with these branches. I'm just a dumb combat engineer, so all I know is how to 'make it go boom.'

                                Best of luck in your journey.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X