Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to branch?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: What to branch?

    Originally posted by knelson View Post
    Actualy, sir, mine was more like:

    1. Infantry
    2. Infantry
    3. Infantry
    4. Infantry
    5. Infantry
    6. Infantry
    7. Infantry
    8. Infantry
    9. Infantry
    10. Infantry
    11. Infantry
    12. Infantry
    13. Infantry

    :-D


    Yeah I guess you could go to the BOLC with the easy tests.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: What to branch?

      Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
      Yeah I guess you could go to the BOLC with the easy tests.
      Could it be worse than the tests they give in OCS which were written by a Private?

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: What to branch?

        Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Could it be worse than the tests they give in OCS which were written by a Private?
        Touche....

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: What to branch?

          This time around in NJ, they just gave us a list of all slots open and then broke up the OML into 3 groups of six (well, one of 5). The first six got one week to pick, the next six, etc.

          I was already "unofficially" branched, but still had to fill out the paperwork, which was 1) IN, 2)IN, 3) IN... seriously. We had to pick our slot by vacancy and line number. Not a whole lot offered either. about 5 chem slots, 2 signal, 2 mp, 2 armor/cav, 1 med service, and 2 AG. There was a whole page of IN, but only two of us branched it. I got my first choice, obviously.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: What to branch?

            Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
            This time around in NJ, they just gave us a list of all slots open and then broke up the OML into 3 groups of six (well, one of 5). The first six got one week to pick, the next six, etc.

            I was already "unofficially" branched, but still had to fill out the paperwork, which was 1) IN, 2)IN, 3) IN... seriously. We had to pick our slot by vacancy and line number. Not a whole lot offered either. about 5 chem slots, 2 signal, 2 mp, 2 armor/cav, 1 med service, and 2 AG. There was a whole page of IN, but only two of us branched it. I got my first choice, obviously.
            Congrats man!

            Although I have to say, that's a lot of Chem slots. Interesting how so few people branched IN even though there were a lot of slots.

            Comment


            • #21
              Yes, another thread about branching...

              First, let me give you a little background. I'm going to AOCS in June and am starting the branching process. My top 2 choices are MI and Signal. I've spoken to a MAJ about MI, but haven't heard back from the Signal Officer I was told to contact. I'm still leaning toward MI, but I need to know more about the Signal opportunities in my state before I make a decision.

              Now, for my real question. Which one of these branches would give me more opportunity in the civilian world? I have a Finance degree and I'm currently in Banking. However, I don't do much "banking". I do internet and database/direct marketing. I'd like to transition into another career field and was hoping to use things I learn while in the Guard to do so. Would either of these branches help me do this even though I don't have a background in either?

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Yes, another thread about branching...

                Receiving a TS/SSI for working in MI can reap awards down the road. Especially if you would like to get a government job at the DC/VA belt. Signal will provide that IT management experience that will consistently be sought on the job market.

                As a soldier with a deployment and young, you will be very marketable. You have a degree period.

                You just need to ask yourself what do you truly want to do and will enjoy doing. That is an important factor young man.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Yes, another thread about branching...

                  Both of those branches are small, and don't need many lieutenants. You really should have this conversation with your State's OSM. Geography also plays a factor, inasmuch as he may find you an MI slots six hours from home. Be realistic about the commute. It doesn't sound that bad until you start doing it on a regular basis.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: What to branch?

                    In our state both IN units are full, so we have people who want IN but can't get it (at this point). There are a lot of FA slots open, but people are avoiding them. Funny how things vary so much from state to state.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Yes, another thread about branching...

                      Also consider, your state may have an abundance of those MI & Signal Officer slots filled, thus slower promotion...
                      Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                      Both of those branches are small, and don't need many lieutenants. You really should have this conversation with your State's OSM. Geography also plays a factor, inasmuch as he may find you an MI slots six hours from home. Be realistic about the commute. It doesn't sound that bad until you start doing it on a regular basis.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Yes, another thread about branching...

                        Also, as someone who works MI in the federal civilian sector, if you want something that's marketable NOW, in MI, you're much better off enlisted. Graduate AIT in a 35 series (such as 35F), and get a bit of experience and you'll basically qualify for some excellent entry level positions because of your technical skill. That and the contract jobs you can take will be PLENTY.

                        As a 2LT fresh out of MI BOLC, you're not nearly as marketable for awhile. Now, years down the road when you're a CPT, had some time as an S2, managed some programs and things, then you're looking at being fairly competitive to jump in a bit higher level.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: What to branch?

                          I think we're technically full of IN in jersey, but they're willing to overslot IN rather than something else, I'm guessing. We had quite a few FA positions open too, only two people wanted them.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: What to branch?

                            Nobody wants to branch Finance?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: What to branch?

                              Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                              Nobody wants to branch Finance?
                              I hope not, because they'll likely face great disappointment. I haven't run the numbers recently, but a few years ago I queried the entire force structure of the entire ARNG nation-wide, and came up with about two dozen lieutenant slots in Finance.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: What to branch?

                                Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                                I hope not, because they'll likely face great disappointment. I haven't run the numbers recently, but a few years ago I queried the entire force structure of the entire ARNG nation-wide, and came up with about two dozen lieutenant slots in Finance.
                                Sir if I may ask why so few?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X