X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to branch?

I'm in ROTC right now as an MS-1 and I know I've got a lot of time to decide, but I just wanted to get some opinions on what to branch when I commission. I know that it is entirely up to me and my performance whether I get my first or last pick on branching but I'm curious as to what to choose. My numbers may be a bit off, but I recall there being up to five (5) choices you can make on your packet. As of now my picks would be:

1.) Intelligence
    2.) Military Police
    3.) Aviation
    4.) Armor
    5.) Field Artillery

Would I have any say in where I would go for my first duty station? Also, I'd prefer to go Active Duty, how difficult is it to get slots for that? Thanks.

Re: What to branch?

Well you are correct, It's all up to you and how you do in ROTC. If you choose to go Active duty, you will be put in the OML and have to compete with everyone else trying to go Active. You put a list of 10 branches, and you have no real option of your first duty station. The better you do in school and ROTC, the higher on the OML you get and the better chance you have of getting your first branch. I know people who got their 1st option, I know others that did well and still got their 5-6 choice. It's all based on the needs of the army

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
      Well you are correct, It's all up to you and how you do in ROTC. If you choose to go Active duty, you will be put in the OML and have to compete with everyone else trying to go Active. You put a list of 10 branches, and you have no real option of your first duty station. The better you do in school and ROTC, the higher on the OML you get and the better chance you have of getting your first branch. I know people who got their 1st option, I know others that did well and still got their 5-6 choice. It's all based on the needs of the army
      You probably know more about the ROTC route but this question always lingers in the back of my mind. If you "choose" to go Active Duty, you will obviously be put on an OML and compete with everyone else trying to go Active. If you find that you do not get a branch of your choosing, are you able to decline Active and go Guard/Reserve instead. Essentially, do you "commit" to Active Duty with a blind eye on which branch you may actually get without a chance of backing out?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        You probably know more about the ROTC route but this question always lingers in the back of my mind. If you "choose" to go Active Duty, you will obviously be put on an OML and compete with everyone else trying to go Active. If you find that you do not get a branch of your choosing, are you able to decline Active and go Guard/Reserve instead. Essentially, do you "commit" to Active Duty with a blind eye on which branch you may actually get without a chance of backing out?
        Yep, you are right. If you choose Active, you are going active... even if you don't get the branch you want. Needs of the Army are more important than the new officer's comfort with his branch. Same as if you choose Guard/Reserves. You will be Guard/Reserves. either way after some time(I don't know the exact time frame) you can request to switch, but it's not an easy switch. So My advice is choose your branch list wisely.. and make sure you like or at least have some interest in all 10 branches you choose.

Comment

Engineer....

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
            Yep, you are right. If you choose Active, you are going active... even if you don't get the branch you want. Needs of the Army are more important than the new officer's comfort with his branch. Same as if you choose Guard/Reserves. You will be Guard/Reserves. either way after some time(I don't know the exact time frame) you can request to switch, but it's not an easy switch. So My advice is choose your branch list wisely.. and make sure you like or at least have some interest in all 10 branches you choose.
            I have seen several instances of cadets choosing active duty, receiving their branch and declining it to go into the Guard. If your cadre don't mind doing the paperwork, you can switch. As long as you haven't been sworn in, you aren't obligated to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jingoist View Post
              I have seen several instances of cadets choosing active duty, receiving their branch and declining it to go into the Guard. If your cadre don't mind doing the paperwork, you can switch. As long as you haven't been sworn in, you aren't obligated to anything.
              Well If you have signed for a scholarship I have never seen anyone able to switch it over, but I guess there is a way for anything! I apologize. However it's probably not easy! lol

Comment

and that is exactly why you don't take a scholarship. Check this out, if you do it right you don't need a schollie. 1. go to basic,AIT back-to-back right after HS graduation. 2. enroll in local community college to complete your basic required courses, while living at home. 1.5 to 2 years worth of GI bill money+drill pay. Save big bucks while living at home attending community college. Where I live tuition is about $750 a semester for 15 hours. Then, go ROTC as a Junior or sophomore, go SMP, you will be getting GI bill + kicker + drill pay + ROTC stipend + tuition assistance. Bam! it's all covered except for room and board and personal expenses. First year, live in dorm, 2nd and final year live in dorm, but work as RA. Follow this plan, no student loans, no scholarship, no problems. Should be able to actually save money depending upon your spending habits, especially habits related to how expensive a car and insurance you have.

pass this advice along to any high school senior or college freshman, they won't believe it.

Comment

LOL sounds like a recruiter's pitch to me

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                    LOL sounds like a recruiter's pitch to me
                    LOL....alot of what if's too....

Comment

We're turning in our branch preference sheets before next drill. I have to rank 13 branches by preference? That's way too much thinking to do!!!! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by knelson View Post
                        We're turning in our branch preference sheets before next drill. I have to rank 13 branches by preference? That's way too much thinking to do!!!! :-D
                        Not really
                        1- Engineer
                        2- Engineer
                        3- Engineer
                        4- Engineer
                        5- Engineer
                        6- Engineer
                        7- Engineer
                        8- Engineer
                        9- Engineer
                        10- Engineer
                        11- Engineer
                        12- Engineer
                        13- Engineer

Done

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                          Not really
                          1- Engineer
                          2- Engineer
                          3- Engineer
                          4- Engineer
                          5- Engineer
                          6- Engineer
                          7- Engineer
                          8- Engineer
                          9- Engineer
                          10- Engineer
                          11- Engineer
                          12- Engineer
                          13- Engineer

Done
                          Actualy, sir, mine was more like:

1. Infantry
                          2. Infantry
                          3. Infantry
                          4. Infantry
                          5. Infantry
                          6. Infantry
                          7. Infantry
                          8. Infantry
                          9. Infantry
                          10. Infantry
                          11. Infantry
                          12. Infantry
                          13. Infantry

:-D

Comment

..............Burnnnn
                            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

1- Glorified and overpaid AGR janitor.
                              2- Work from home branch.
                              3- Shamtry
                              4- Professional Article 15, court martial, and DUI dodger
                              5- Any other branch other than the Army

Those were my top branch choices.

They ended up branching me Infantry.

I'm currently waiting word on whether they will enroll me into the distance learning version of Ranger School.

Comment

Working...
                              X