Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Prior service USAF looking for guidance from someone with 09S experience. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior service USAF looking for guidance from someone with 09S experience.

Good Evening All,

My name is Jeff. Im 30 years old, I have a wife and two sons and I am former active duty USAF. My goal is to complete OCS and work in Military Intelligence (I have a Master of Intelligence). Obviously because my decisions have an effect on my family I want to make sure I am as informed as possible while I go about things.

I was wondering if anyone would mind exchanging a few emails with me. I am scheduled to go to MEPS and swear in with an 09S contract next week. Having enlisted before in the USAF I know that a little "supplemental" information to go along with what the recruiters are telling me can go a long way.

I have done a lot of research online and on these forums and it has been very helpful. I would be happy to return and post what I have learned as I go through the process.

If anyone would be willing to exchange a few emails I would appreciate it or any other general comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks very much,

v/r

Jeff

Re: Prior service USAF looking for guidance from someone with 09S experience.

Have you spoken with the state's Officer Strength Manager, on oppurunties in MI?

If not, I would suggest you do so. Don't be suprised if they stick you where the need you the most.

Comment

Thank you for the reply Sir, I have spoken with a number of individuals working in MI here in our state. They did say that they needed people in MI, but I will certainly contact my states OSM and verify. Thanks again.

Comment

Eventually, you may end up switching branches, I don't know how MI works, but for branches like Armor and Finance you can only be promoted to MAJ, then you have to swtich.

Which, it takes a good while to become a MAJ.

I'm sure someone else on here has more info on MI.

Comment

Private Message Sent.

Comment

A more Privater Message sent.

Comment

I have a Master of Intelligence
              I laughed. Haha. That just sounds awesome.

Good luck, there are definitely some knowledgeable people around here, so I'm sure you'll get the information you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks all for the help.

One question that has come up is the significants of the MOS on a 09S contract. I was told that my contract indicates 09S to signify that I am going to OCS but that I have to pick a MOS in case I don't complete OCS and have to go enlisted. The way it was explained to me this MOS (they are encouraging me to use 25U) will have no bearing if I complete OCS, during which I will actually be assigned my branch. Someone else indicated that the MOS on your contract actually plays a part in your officer branch later on. Any input is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JZoo View Post
                  Someone else indicated that the MOS on your contract actually plays a part in your officer branch later on. Any input is appreciated.
                  I think that someone else was misinformed. Your OSM will decide to put you wherever they need you, while doing their best to take into consideration your preferences. And if you are going through OCS you will undoubtedly be given an opportunity to express these preferences. I don't see what your alternate MOS on your contract would have to do with it.

Of the OCS candidates from my state who commissioned this past year, I think maybe 1 or 2 didn't get a branch from their top two as expressed in their wishlist.

2LT - AZARNG

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                    I laughed. Haha. That just sounds awesome.

Good luck, there are definitely some knowledgeable people around here, so I'm sure you'll get the information you're looking for.
                    I thought the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JZoo View Post
                      The way it was explained to me this MOS (they are encouraging me to use 25U) will have no bearing if I complete OCS, during which I will actually be assigned my branch. Someone else indicated that the MOS on your contract actually plays a part in your officer branch later on. Any input is appreciated.
                      Your enlisted MOS has no formal relationship with your officer branch.

It could possibly have a tie-breaker effect in cases where you are competing for a slot, and you have an enlisted background in the field that you have requested.

Comment

Working...
                      X