Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for OCS - Traditional after AIT

Hello,

I enlisted as Private First Class, and will be leaving for BCT and AIT June 13th 2011. After I return from AIT, and make initial contact with my Unit, I wish to put in my package for 09S traditional. What worries me, I don't want to come into my Unit and then be like I'm off to OCS, I talked to several people and they say that my unit will encourage me to do it. I am very thrilled, I got the opportunity to join and serve my country and advance. I am currently a nursing student, by the time I finish OCS, I'm looking to get into AMEDD. The only thing, my credit is less then perfect, I am going to start fixing/clearing it prior to shipping out to BCT and on my arrival back. before, I put in my package I will try to put in for security clerance first. Thats the main that thing worrys me is my credit allowing me to get a security clerance.

Re: Going for OCS - Traditional after AIT

Since it's a regular security clearance you should be fine, barring some crazy credit issues. But you should def try to get your credit up because if you start looking for F-T positions they will be checking that

Comment

Originally posted by Palabara View Post
      Hello,

I enlisted as Private First Class, and will be leaving for BCT and AIT June 13th 2011. After I return from AIT, and make initial contact with my Unit, I wish to put in my package for 09S traditional. What worries me, I don't want to come into my Unit and then be like I'm off to OCS, I talked to several people and they say that my unit will encourage me to do it. I am very thrilled, I got the opportunity to join and serve my country and advance. I am currently a nursing student, by the time I finish OCS, I'm looking to get into AMEDD. The only thing, my credit is less then perfect, I am going to start fixing/clearing it prior to shipping out to BCT and on my arrival back. before, I put in my package I will try to put in for security clerance first. Thats the main that thing worrys me is my credit allowing me to get a security clerance.
      Be prepared to be unable to attend OCS for a bit. When I returned from OSUT my unit asked if I would be interested in attending OCS. I was, and they got me in touch with a local recruiter to take care of the process. I had my physical and everything else taken care of, however, I was then informed that there was a new rule that you must serve in your MOS for a 12 months after returning from OSUT/AIT. This was for Georgia, and I'm not sure if it varies from state to state, but I would try to figure out for yourself. If being an Officer is really what you desire, you may want to just enlist 09S and forget the enlisted MOS.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
        Since it's a regular security clearance you should be fine, barring some crazy credit issues. But you should def try to get your credit up because if you start looking for F-T positions they will be checking that
        Thank you, for your reply, sir. I definitely, wish to start paying and fixing it, and never ending in such a position again. I am hoping that it wont bare to many problems, before I apply will pay as many as I can off, and will make payment arrangements.

Originally posted by jakatan View Post
        Be prepared to be unable to attend OCS for a bit. When I returned from OSUT my unit asked if I would be interested in attending OCS. I was, and they got me in touch with a local recruiter to take care of the process. I had my physical and everything else taken care of, however, I was then informed that there was a new rule that you must serve in your MOS for a 12 months after returning from OSUT/AIT. This was for Georgia, and I'm not sure if it varies from state to state, but I would try to figure out for yourself. If being an Officer is really what you desire, you may want to just enlist 09S and forget the enlisted MOS.
        I didn't hear about anything like that, but I wont rule that out as a possibility. If I do have to wait a year, I'm fine with that. Theoretically I'm hoping that I can put in my package after AIT. (All go's well) I'm really glad, I was able to join. It's hard as it is to get in right now, in general.
        Last edited by Palabara; February 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I am curious now though, can someone verify this? Do you have to remain in your MOS for a year to apply for OCS from enlisted? I was told can put in a package right after AIT. So just curious to get the facts straight.

Comment

I didn't hear about anything like that, but I wont rule that out as a possibility. If I do have to wait a year, I'm fine with that. Theoretically I'm hoping that I can put in my package after AIT. (All go's well) I'm really glad, I was able to join. It's hard as it is to get in right now, in general.
            I hadn't heard anything like it either, nor had my unit and not even my recruiter was aware of it until he was ready to submit all the paperwork.

If you want to get someone to verify it, try to get a contact number and/or email for your state's OSM. It may be something that varies from state to state, or it was only for a specified time. When you think about it, it does make sense. The National Guard just spent all of that money training you for a MOS and they want to get a little bit out of you before you go and change your job. If being an Officer is what you really want, why bother with enlisted?

Comment

I am curious now though, can someone verify this? Do you have to remain in your MOS for a year to apply for OCS from enlisted? I was told can put in a package right after AIT. So just curious to get the facts straight.
              Might depend on the state. NJ doesn't do that. I put a soldier into OCS his first drill

Comment

Originally posted by jakatan View Post
                I hadn't heard anything like it either, nor had my unit and not even my recruiter was aware of it until he was ready to submit all the paperwork.

If you want to get someone to verify it, try to get a contact number and/or email for your state's OSM. It may be something that varies from state to state, or it was only for a specified time. When you think about it, it does make sense. The National Guard just spent all of that money training you for a MOS and they want to get a little bit out of you before you go and change your job. If being an Officer is what you really want, why bother with enlisted?
                Reason I enlisted, I want to be apart of the military. Granted, OCS is my ultimate goal, but their are perks to both. Going from enlisted to OCS isn't a horrible thing either, and sometimes is even smoother. I also thought the same thing; why would they train you in AIT, and then you go to OCS, but the training you get in AIT, isn't going to hurt. It's the same reason officers get to attend more variety of schools then enlisted, because the more officers know the better they lead.

Another reason, if I wasn't going to BCT during the summer then I'd have my initial 60 credits to go into 09S, but then again, my credit might have kept me from security clearance. The money I'll be able to save up while in BCT/AIT. I Will use it to clear my debt, and then apply for a clearance.

Overall, the benefits are still great, specially for a student. Its an extra pay check, and its stability. Joining right now is very difficult. But, once you are in, for the most part; from what I've heard the National Guard prefer to send their soldiers to OCS. Hence the reason enlisted get more into accelerated then people who are just trying to go into accelerated even though, I wish to go traditional. I'm going to be in school for a while longer because of clinical. So, I weight my options, did a lot of research, figure id get my foot in the door, and work up from their. So, I continue to ask questions, and talk to people. I appreciate all the responses.

All I said is from research I've done, people I've talked to. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. I don't wish to spread false information.

OCS is my intended goal, but its good to plan ahead, and always have something to fall back on.

Comment

Working...
                X