X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Training Option & Simultaneous Membership Program

Is it possible to do the Split Training Option & Simultaneous Membership Program as a combat engineer?

Re: Split Training Option & Simultaneous Membership Program

Yes. I trust you realize they are two separate events. Once you contract with ROTC, you become an SMP cadet. Once you are an SMP, you won't attend Basic and/or AIT.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      Yes. I trust you realize they are two separate events. Once you contract with ROTC, you become an SMP cadet. Once you are an SMP, you won't attend Basic and/or AIT.
      Yes, I realize that they are two separate events. So if I do the split training option and do my Basic and AIT, then do the SMP, I won't have to do Basic and AIT again?

Comment

correct, going to BCT will satisfy the first two years of ROTC. Completing AIT will get you the GI Bill.

No never again, unless you go to Drill Sergeant school.

There will be other ROTC training that you must attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          correct, going to BCT will satisfy the first two years of ROTC. Completing AIT will get you the GI Bill.

No never again, unless you go to Drill Sergeant school.

There will be other ROTC training that you must attend.
          Ok, here's my scenario. Say I enlist when I turn 17 and do the split training option, go to BCT and AIT, then want to do the SMP. How would I go about doing that? What kind of finances, bonus, etc. could I expect?

Comment

you can expect $$$$$$$$$ cha ching.........it would work because you'd go to bct, then school then AIT, then contract ROTC.....but you may just want to do a short mos like 88m or 11b.

Comment

you can expect $$$$$$$$$ cha ching.........it would work because you'd go to bct, then school then AIT, then contract ROTC.....but you may just want to do a short mos like 88m or 11b.
              I was thinking 12B Combat Engineer with hopes of one day maybe becoming a Sapper. Do I have to get the SMP in my contract when I enlist?

Comment

Nah..............you ask for it when you get back....it's pretty much a sure deal, but not a garuntee. Just do something like 11b, that way you can collect your GI Bill the first two years of college, then enroll in ROTC. You can still apply for sapper school as 11b.

Comment

Nah..............you ask for it when you get back....it's pretty much a sure deal, but not a garuntee. Just do something like 11b, that way you can collect your GI Bill the first two years of college, then enroll in ROTC. You can still apply for sapper school as 11b.
                  Thanks for the advice, but I'm really wanting to be a 12B. Why wouldn't I be able to collect my GI Bill as a 12B. Do I have to enroll in ROTC after I have 2 years of college under my belt?

Comment

ROTC is a 4 year program, you can skip the first two years if you complete BCT or go to their camp thingy.

You couldn't get the GI Bill until you complete AIT, so you'd wouldn't get 360-500/month fo the first year. Personally I think money in the hand is good.

Just be realistic, if Combat Eng, is not availible. The Guard is really full and tight. So any job is a good job. So if all they have ia 88M or Cook or something. Just remember you're going to do ROTC, so truthfully is doesn't matter.

Comment

because when you complete ROTC there is no garuntees what officer branch you will get. They kinda let you genericlly choose, but it could be anything.

You may end up beining an Infantry Officer, or Artillery. In the long run......everything is going to be okay.

Comment

because when you complete ROTC there is no garuntees what officer branch you will get. They kinda let you genericlly choose, but it could be anything.

You may end up beining an Infantry Officer, or Artillery. In the long run......everything is going to be okay.
                        So I get to choose what branch I want after ROTC? Like Combat Arms - Corps of Engineers? Would I get to still be in my local unit?

Comment

you get three choices, one combat arms, one support, one support services or something like that. At least if you want to go active duty, National Guard, they probably let you have some influence in the descion.

They may change your unit, when you commission they will put you where they need you. I'm not 100% sure, I'm a Direct Commission so I didn't exactly go that route thought about it though.

Comment

caveat, not a recruiter,
                            look, keep your options open. to maximize your $$$ situation, think about this.

You're planning on joining during senior year,correct?

1. instead of doing split option, think about going directly to AIT right after basic, and then coming back to college after that. This gives you more options of longer AIT, which means more money.

example, go to basic followed by AIT right after graduation from HS. find an MOS that will let you have a longer AIT,you could be gone as long as 7 months total, if an AIT lasts that long. You will get paid for accumulated leave balance after AIT, so that is a pretty good hunk of money, + you're being paid active duty pay for however long you're gone.

2. come back after AIT,enroll in college starting spring instead of fall, you get all of the GI bill $$, + you've just saved your $$ you earned during basic and AIT.

3. when you go to college, to maximize $$, always enroll in either a Maymester or Decembermester course, because the GI bill money is prorated to the day. example, semester ends on May 17th, you only get 17/31 of the monthly $$, but if you enroll in Maymester, you should get the entire month paid.

example, instead of taking 15 hours, take 12 regular semester + 3 Maymester.
                            or better yet, take 15+ 3.

A better example imo, of getting both college and military done at the same time is to go to a local community college in the summer right after HS before attending basic.

1. take 12 hours basic college courses in the summer right after HS-no GI bill coverage, but maybe Tuition Assistance.- do nothing but go to college, study, and workout, get ready for basic.

2. go to basic right after second summer session ends-middle August.
                            3. go to AIT right after basic ends, finish as late as early January
                            4. go back to college start of spring semester, you've got money, and 12 hours under your belt.

the strength of this plan is you "catch up" to your peers in terms of college credit hours very quickly and you can be a soph in time to choose SMP in the fall, assuming you take 6 hours of college in the summer after your spring (12 + 15+ 6 = 33).

Comment

I just noticed you said "when I turn 17". If you're not yet 17, I am thinking you might even be able to enlist while still a Junior in HS? if you're enlisting as a Junior, then split option would work very well for you. You could go to basic right after junior year, then AIT after graduation.

Most people don't favor going to basic as a Junior, but if you and your advisors feel confident that you are physically, emotionally, and mentally mature enough to do so, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X