Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does Fed Rec Process Take So Long?

I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on why the federal recognition process for ARNG Officers takes so long. Sorry of the post is long or seems like I am venting

I was promoted by my state to CPT in late September and the promotion list I am on came out sometime in October. I understand that the promotion list must flow through 14 different offices in the Department of Defense before being approved. I also understand that there are many other things those offices do besides wait for, review, and approve promotion lists. I also realize that historically the Fed Rec Process has taken a long time, but does anyone really know why.

I am just confused because of the following: the list prior to mine came out just 1 day before mine, yet they were both sent to the OSD for final approval and orders on the same day. The first list was approved and orders cut on 21 Dec 2010 and my list is still pending 3 weeks later.

I fully understand that the promotion procedures and regulations were created long ago when the ARNG were not really utilized to the extent they are today. But I believe that time has changed. Today many of us serve on deployments, CO-ADOD, ADOS, AGR, Dual Status Tech, and other types of tours. Not to mention, there is no such thing as only a weekend a month, when you factor all of the planning and prepping that is done for drill, especially if in a staff or command position. I personally have been in some form of active duty or full time status since 01 January 2007 and have only spent 3 months in only a drilling status since I commissioned in 2006.

If anyone has any idea, advice, or guidance, it will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Why Does Fed Rec Process Take So Long?

If it makes you feel any better, it used to take even longer. You can thank Secretary Rumsfeld for speeding up the process.

Ninety days is standard for a unit vacancy promotion, 30 for DA-select promotions. Federal holidays for Christmas and New Year's, and people taking leave in conjunction, also adds some delay in this particular case.

Comment

I've been told that AMEDD slows it down a little.

Comment

Sir
        Thank you for your response

I can appreciate that it use to take longer, but why does it have to take so long. On the active duty side of the house, an officer makes it to CPT in 3 years time with no questions asked (provided they have their 4 year college degree) and all it takes is a promotion list and a 4187.

Yet we have to wait 4 years (newer officers wait 3 1/2 years now) just to submit our packets to our respective state. Then we wait for the state to conduct their own fed rec board and decide to promote us or not. I believe that if a state deems us worthy of promotion, then we should be promoted effective that date and not have to wait an additional amount of time for our packets to go through the Department of Defense Offices. I believe the average time for a ARNG officer to get promoted to CPT is 4 1/2 years. This seems way too long in comparison to our active duty brethren, especially in today's high op tempo where we are much more engaged than ever.

Just my humble beliefs

Comment

Does anyone know what goes into a fedrec packet? What do they actually do up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuttz4Sports View Post
            I believe the average time for a ARNG officer to get promoted to CPT is 4 1/2 years.
            If the TIG requirement is 18 months, and a person has all of their paperwork in order, mil-education done, occupies a CPT slot, and has their packet submitted ahead of time, why would they be spending three years as a 1LT, aside from the sometimes lengthy fed-rec wait?

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
              If the TIG requirement is 18 months, and a person has all of their paperwork in order, mil-education done, occupies a CPT slot, and has their packet submitted ahead of time, why would they be spending three years as a 1LT, aside from the sometimes lengthy fed-rec wait?
              The TIG for promotion to CPT from 1LT for a ARNG or Reservist is 2 years, as opposed to 18 months for active duty officers.

Assuming all qualifications have been met and the officer is currently serving in an O-3 slot, then here is the process:

1. Officer or their respective admin personnel builds the packet. The packet must include a promotion letter of recommendation signed by the company commander. Packets goes to BN S-1

2. BN S-1 will review packet to ensure it is complete and SM meets all requirements. The Battalion Commander must also provide a promotion letter of recommendation (if the initial letter of recommendation is done as a Memo Thru, then BC will only need to line through memo, initial and date, provided they approve of the promotion). Packet is then sent to Brigade S-1

3. BDE S-1 will also review packet, if all is good, then the BDE Commander must also provide a letter of recommendation. Once the packet is reviewed and all three letters of recommendations are approved and signed, the packet will then go to state headquarters, specifically Officer Personnel Management.

4. The state reviews the packet and prepares it for the state federal recognition board. My state holds it only once a month and the packet must be sent to state prior to the cutoff date, otherwise it will be held over for the next month's board. (miss the cutoff date and you'll be waiting longer to get promoted)

5. The state fed reg board reviews the officers file and decides to promote or not. If they promote, then the state will cut promotion orders within a day or two.

6. State then sends the packet to NGB - NGB reviews the packet and officer's history, current position, and anything else required to be promoted. This is assuming the officer is a basic branch officer. If they are a special branch officer, then that special branch will also review the packet.

7. Once approved by NGB, the officer is put into a queue for promotion and must wait for the promotion list to be generated. This can take up to a month

8. Once the list is generated the list circulates around 14 department of defense offices, where each office must approve the list. NGB states that the alotted time for the list to make it through all 14 offices is 120 days (mind you I bet these are business days)

9. Once all of the offices approve the list, the last office is the Secretary of Defense's Office, where they have the final approval. Once approved, they direct promotion and federal recognitions orders to be published.

10. HRC cuts the promotion orders and NGB cuts the Federal Recognition orders.

Now that is the process as I understand it. The process, IMHO, is much longer than it needs to be. Again, IMHO, if the state deems you worthy of promotion, then the rest should flow just like it does for active duty officers.

I was the battalion S-1 when I submitted my packet in August, I was promoted by my state in September; my promotion list was released 79 days ago; it reached the Secretary of Defense's Office 1 month ago and those of us on that list are still wiaiting for approval and orders.

If you look at the timeline, then you see that the true time for an ARNG officer to be promoted from 1LT to CPT is actually more like 2 1/2 years, as compared to 18 months for active duty. Add that to the 2 years we did from 2LT to 1LT (most of us were past 18 months when the new change hit), then you get 4 1/2 years to be promoted to CPT as opposed to 3 years for active duty officers.

Long post, but you did ask for the process

Comment

The process follows legal and regulatory requirements. The active component has fewer checks and balances, because of the legal nature of their status.

It would be better for the force (and for the individuals, although it'll take 20 years to convince them) if we slowed down the speed of promotions through increasing the TIG requirements.

Comment

I one hundred percent agree with the initial question for this thread. It took a month after the state's board for NGB to even recognize my FRB status. I have been serving on Title 10 at NGB for the past year and a half and I am now serving on a Title 10 deployment for OND. I have spent most of my time as an officer, with 8 years prior enlisted, completing duties and taking on responsibilities of a field grade officer; however the Title 10 time nor the advanced experience/performance matters in a ARNG officer's promotion process. I would especially argue that officers that are promotable and serving on a deployment should be expedited for promotion. I fell into that category of FRB packets being loaded during the holidays, which made it take even longer, and in my opinion shows that highly qualified promotable officers who are deploying are not being serviced to the best of the component's ability. Leave and holiday time off should NOT be a contributing factor when promotions are being delayed. It is very true that AD officers are promoted right away with no questions asked when they are eligible. In today's high paced environment with ALL service components, I thought the ARNG was moving in a more proactive manner in bringing us up to speed with entitlements, benefits, and incentives. To me, if an officer has earned the right to be promoted given the required TIG and excellent performance than it should be considered an entitlement. We amend Law and Regulations to benefit ARNG personnel all the time with this argument. Perhaps this should be a NGAUS, IAVA, VFW, American Legion, etc... issue to bring up to ARNG and SECDEF for action.

Comment

Can someone please explain why a fed rec packet remains at the G1 level at NGB for over a month? Even after the promotion list has already been built...

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go View Post
                      Can someone please explain why a fed rec packet remains at the G1 level at NGB for over a month? Even after the promotion list has already been built...
                      Legal review and verification.

Comment

Question... If it takes 3-4, sometimes 5 months to get promoted after you are eligible, why can't the state boards be conducted 3 months prior to eligibility and then kick it to NGB two months prior to eligibility. Then have a pre-scrub team conduct the packet inspection at that time, but treat the packets as though they are already eligible. That way when people are eligible they can simply mark them as G2G at the G1 level and kick it to the next DoD office for review. It would cut probably three months of time off the process. Just a thought...

Comment

Believe me, I feel your pain! I was Captain Select, effective last April. I'm still waiting on my Fed Rec...

Comment

So much for 90 days being the standard...

Comment

You can check your FEDREC status here:

https://apps2.ngb.army.mil/FedRecPac...psNetHome.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X