X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enlisted to West Point?

Good luck with your application process, Dgreen! Looking back, its something I wish I had at least given a shot at.

Comment

A congressional nomination doesn't get you in. It's just a nomination. Basically a letter of recommendation of which there is a limited supply. If you can't get that then you won't be competitive enough to get by the admissions board.

This guard route is just another route to the same admissions board competing against the same pool of applicants. If you don't get picked up as a civilian applicant, then this is a good way to improve your resume slightly & take another shot a year later. I wouldn't consider it outside those terms.

As far as what they're looking for... you do need competitive grades and scores as discussed, you need some athletic background (played a couple sports in HS), some leadership background (could be as a team captain, JROTC, student council, whatever), and some moral aspect (could be religious involvement, volunteer work, etc). You're going to be judged on a total person concept, so you can be weak in some areas & stronger in others & still make it, but you can't be weak overall.

I would tell you to absolutely take a shot as a civilian. If you get prep school, then take it. If not, if it was me, I would go on to ROTC at a good school. If you're really committed to west point over a traditional college, then this guard program might be a good second chance, and then drive on to college if that doesn't work.

Comment

Dnall, my information may be a bit dated, but I'm not sure that all the appointments really come from the same pool. For example, each congressman and senator is allowed X appointments (with X being somewhere around 4, IIRC) to an academy at any one time. That usually meant that a congressman or senator could give one appointment to an academy a year. This allowed for (for example) someone from Coffeyville, Kansas to get an appointment (as long as he was the top pick in his congressional district) without having to beat out everyone from Southern California.

Granted the admissions process is complicated and I don't begin to pretend to understand it all, but that was my understanding when I went through the process many years ago.

But I agree, they are looking for a well rounded background (sports, school politics, grades, SAT scores, etc).

DGreen, best of luck to you whatever you choose to do!

Comment

I have no knowledge, but my brother is a West Point graduate and my Dad sat in on the state board for appointments. (no strints there, brother graduated before Dad was on board) Anyone have specific questions I could run it by one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgreen92
            I have heard that you can enlist in the National Guard and then receive a nomination to attend West Point I was wondering how you go about doing this. And is there a time requirement I would need to stay in the National Guard for before I could attend West Point?
            DGreen92 pm me or send an email to william.p.weathersby@us.army.mil. I am very involved with some stuff at USMA and can hopefully steer you in the right direction or help you get some answers.

Comment

I am a 20 year old planning on enlisting as a 31B. I have roughly 2 years of college experience (Temple U. in Philadelphia) with average grades. I have aspirations of attending West Point, but I'm also aware that my application is likely not competitive in comparison with the other applicants. My question is actually about the Prep school, and what requirements and qualifications they look for. West Point is a big goal for me, and having to attend the prep school for a year would be far from a set back, and I am also aware that many applicants have to go through the prep school first. Thanks for any help or info you can give me.

Comment

Working...
              X