X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PT test?

So, my unit is set to mob' next year and from what I've heard, you take a PT test when you mod... which I think is pointless being I just took one in Oct...

but my friend that just deployed, said it's the new PT test..

anyone know the standards?

Re: New PT test?

I never took a PFT when I mobilized. I've heard of units doing a PFT for whatever reason. But the unit I'm with currently did not.

Comment

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe the new standards out yet. Here is an article by the Army Times http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...ew-pt-030411w/.

Comment

I think this may be a case of something being lost as the information is passed along. They may have done it as a "test unit" or something, but there isn't anything official out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
          I think this may be a case of something being lost as the information is passed along. They may have done it as a "test unit" or something, but there isn't anything official out yet.
          This is correct. I have taken the new PRT twice so far, once at BOLC and again soon after my unit received our MOB order.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
            This is correct. I have taken the new PRT twice so far, once at BOLC and again soon after my unit received our MOB order.
            What did you think of it?

Comment

There are positive and negative aspects,

Sustains:
              Rower, good overall abdominal test, plus no straain on the neck. Still would have preferred crunches.
              Sprints, good agility and reaction time test.
              Standing long jump, good core strength test.
              Improves:
              Pushups, does not test ones endurance strength.
              Mile and a half run, again not an endurance test (prefer the Marines 3 mile run).

Comment

Still doing the same ole PT test over here.

Comment

What is a PT test? We do those in the National Guard?

Comment

Just wanted to point out that under current regs there is no requirement to do an APFT while deployed.

Comment

Cool beans.

I just couldnt figure out why I had to take a PT test in October, passed.. and then turn around early 2012 when I mob, and take another one...

Comment

There are positive and negative aspects,

Sustains:
                        Rower, good overall abdominal test, plus no straain on the neck. Still would have preferred crunches.
                        Sprints, good agility and reaction time test.
                        Standing long jump, good core strength test.
                        Improves:
                        Pushups, does not test ones endurance strength.
                        Mile and a half run, again not an endurance test (prefer the Marines 3 mile run).
                        You got it!

New PT test
                        More than 10,000 soldiers took a new physical training test in 2011, and you are likely to follow suit when the test becomes official in late 2012.

This will mark the first changes to the PT test since its inception in 1980. Officials are finalizing the details, but the new test will likely include:

A 60-yard shuttle run.

A two-minute rower.

A standing long jump.

Dead-hang pull-ups.

A two-mile run.

Initial tests had a one-minute rower, push-ups instead of pull-ups and a 1-mile run. Data collection and soldier input drove leadership to make the test tougher.

The Army is likely to add full body armor to the Army Combat Readiness Test, as well.

The ACRT incorporates sprinting, climbing drills and other high-intensity exercises that mimic the challenges soldiers face in combat. It kicks off with a 400-meter run with a weapon. This segues into an obstacle course with low hurdles, high crawls and over-under obstacles to test individual movement techniques. Soldiers then do a 40-yard casualty drag, followed by a 40-yard run with ammo cans atop a balance beam. Next comes point, aim and move drills, followed by a 100-yard ammo can shuttle sprint. The ACRT wraps up with a 100-yard agility sprint.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                          You got it!

New PT test
                          More than 10,000 soldiers took a new physical training test in 2011, and you are likely to follow suit when the test becomes official in late 2012.

This will mark the first changes to the PT test since its inception in 1980. Officials are finalizing the details, but the new test will likely include:

A 60-yard shuttle run.

A two-minute rower.

A standing long jump.

Dead-hang pull-ups.

A two-mile run.

Initial tests had a one-minute rower, push-ups instead of pull-ups and a 1-mile run. Data collection and soldier input drove leadership to make the test tougher.

The Army is likely to add full body armor to the Army Combat Readiness Test, as well.

The ACRT incorporates sprinting, climbing drills and other high-intensity exercises that mimic the challenges soldiers face in combat. It kicks off with a 400-meter run with a weapon. This segues into an obstacle course with low hurdles, high crawls and over-under obstacles to test individual movement techniques. Soldiers then do a 40-yard casualty drag, followed by a 40-yard run with ammo cans atop a balance beam. Next comes point, aim and move drills, followed by a 100-yard ammo can shuttle sprint. The ACRT wraps up with a 100-yard agility sprint.
                          Looks like they have changed it again from the last time I took it. Wonder how they plan on grading the pull ups, rower and 2 mile run. Originally we were told that part of the reason they picked the exercises/times/distances was to make them gender neutral and that both males and females would be scored the same.

Comment

Looks like they have changed it again from the last time I took it. Wonder how they plan on grading the pull ups, rower and 2 mile run. Originally we were told that part of the reason they picked the exercises/times/distances was to make them gender neutral and that both males and females would be scored the same.
                            I really don't see males and females being graded on the same scale realistically. Either the standards get easier for the men(already pretty low IMO) or the standards get harder for the females which will create an imbalance in terms of promotion points for PT.

Comment

I guess I will train for both.

I like the pullups over the pushups and the rowers over the situps.

Comment

Working...
                              X