X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active First soldier nearing ETS date

So here's the run down, I enlisted in 09 with an active first contract out of MN. I am nearing my ETS date from active duty, and would like to now how the transition to NG is supposed to work. At this time have not come up on any orders to a new unit. Any have not been contacted by any NG recruiter/ retention.
    A little extra info I am an 19D E5, currently deployed in afghanistan. Any guidence would be appreciated.

Re: Active First soldier nearing ETS date

Originally posted by KP20 View Post
    So here's the run down, I enlisted in 09 with an active first contract out of MN. I am nearing my ETS date from active duty, and would like to now how the transition to NG is supposed to work. At this time have not come up on any orders to a new unit. Any have not been contacted by any NG recruiter/ retention.
    A little extra info I am an 19D E5, currently deployed in afghanistan. Any guidence would be appreciated.
    Have you started the ACAP process yet?

Comment

I have not begun the ACAP process, or else I would be back stateside. The main reason I ask is that my active re-enlistment window closes in january. And I dont really want to be hanging out to dry after that not knowing if I have to serve in the NG, Or just ETS into the civilian world.

Comment

I asked because during that process and when you receive your ETS orders; you will meet with the transistional counselor who then will give you guidance on what happens when you ETS (especially when you have an obligation left on your contract).

For example; active duty soldiers (who never were active-first) when they received their ETS orders; they meet the counselor that will afford them the option of joining a reserve or NG unit. So in your case; your return to the NG should already be noted in the system and when you ETS from AD; then you can go to your NG unit.

I have a question. When you were active first; did you go to the NG unit that you were supposed to be a part of when you finished active duty? If that is the case; when you have the chance; email or try to call that unit and give them a heads up on your ETS date.

Comment

Ive got a question related to this topic.

I too am Active Duty First and have another deployment coming up in Aug 2012 but my ETS is July 2013. Provided its a new 9 month deployment will I have enough time to ACAP and all that jazz? Also, my state no longer carries my MOS - would I be offered a free reclass?

Generally Id approach someone within my chain of command about some of these questions but thus far my unit's S1 has been of no help to me. In fact, they looked at me like I was speaking Chinese when I told them I was AD First and even paperwork processing has been a total nightmare.

Comment

Working...
          X