X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marksmanship

I recently went to the EST 2000 (virtual shooting range) to zero and qualify on the M16. Overall, I wasn't very pleased with my performance. Obviously there is going to be some declination between an actual range and the virtual EST 2000 but I wanted to know if anyone could share some tips with me on how to improve. I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant so that puts me in an awkward situation when firing, but are there any drills or additional marksmanship training through the military that I can go through to stay fresh?

Re: Marksmanship

Start with a steady position, continue to proper sight picture, follow with breath control, finish with proper trigger squeeze.

Comment

Agreed.

Out of all of those things though, personally I believe that working on your trigger squeeze is the most important. Eye dominance isn't really that big of a problem, but most people jerk the trigger.

Just like with shooting a basketball, make sure the your follow through and hold. Inessence, when you pull the trigger, hold it for 2 seconds. When you get in the habit of holding you naturally jerk the trigger less. A half inch jerk can mean more than a meter difference at the 300+ meter targets.

Comment

Lol thanks for the fundamentals. Next time I'll try to remember the trigger tips, I just wish that I could have a chance to actually put rounds downrange more often, but I lack the time, money for rounds as well as a personal AR15 platform.

Comment

Yes an AR15 platform would be best but you have to use the same mechanics for all weapons. If you have, or know someone with, a .22LR the rounds are dirt cheap and it will at the very least give you a solid starting point to improve with the M16. Is it a perfect solution? No, but this isn't a perfect world and it should still help with everything they mentioned plus things like self correcting. What wont be the same is the feel and wieght of the gun, ballistic trajectory, and overall feel to name a few. All that being said I have never met a person that was an expert with one firearm and even average with others, and marksmen is a marksmen because the fundementals dont change.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoT View Post
            Agreed.

Out of all of those things though, personally I believe that working on your trigger squeeze is the most important. Eye dominance isn't really that big of a problem, but most people jerk the trigger.

Just like with shooting a basketball, make sure the your follow through and hold. Inessence, when you pull the trigger, hold it for 2 seconds. When you get in the habit of holding you naturally jerk the trigger less. A half inch jerk can mean more than a meter difference at the 300+ meter targets.
            Cross dominant shooting can be a problem, but with practice it can be overcame. Some people with this problem tend to focus on the front sight with their dominant eye because its natural and they don't realize they do it. It also makes closing one eye harder. Just do alot of dry fire practice for the fundamentals and practice focusing that weak side eye on the sight post. You may end up shooting with both eyes open, which some frown upon. I have always shot with both eyes open and believe me it can take some gettting use to. In my experience becoming an ambidextrous shooter is a good thing. Train yourself to shoot that way and qualify with the best one.
            I agree 100% with trigger squeeze. Do dime drills.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
              I recently went to the EST 2000 (virtual shooting range) to zero and qualify on the M16. Overall, I wasn't very pleased with my performance. Obviously there is going to be some declination between an actual range and the virtual EST 2000 but I wanted to know if anyone could share some tips with me on how to improve. I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant so that puts me in an awkward situation when firing, but are there any drills or additional marksmanship training through the military that I can go through to stay fresh?
              The case is this with traditional Guard units...
              We simply don't have enough good instructors and enough range time to adequately train soldiers to actually be proficient to a level required for more advanced marksmanship.
              If you want to receive really good instruction in marksmanship, then you're actually more likely to receive it at top notch privately run facilities like US Training Center, Gunsite, Magpul Dynamics, etc.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advise all. I'm thinking I might just spring for an AR15 once I get the change. Any good ideas on where to start looking for one?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                  Thanks a lot for the advise all. I'm thinking I might just spring for an AR15 once I get the change. Any good ideas on where to start looking for one?
                  Many manufacturers. Read reviews on all you are interested. Stag Arms, DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster, and Rock River Arms are all re****ble. You may find some good quality/ deals from others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kswat07 View Post
                    Many manufacturers. Read reviews on all you are interested. Stag Arms, DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster, and Rock River Arms are all re****ble. You may find some good quality/ deals from others as well.
                    Check out the following:

Noveske
                    LaRue
                    Daniels Defense
                    Lewis Machine and Tool
                    LWRC
                    BravoCompanyUSA

This is not an exclusive list but these are generally regarded as on par with Colt or far exceeding Colt (Noveske and LaRue).

Daniels Defense is the best value IMO.

Rock River Arms and Bushmaster may be "reliable" but the AR15 market has changed in the past 5 years.

Comment

If anyone needs good deals on complete ready to fire AR15 or AR .308 rifles, or just parts, I work for a firearms manufacturer where we build the receivers from solid forgings or solid billet blanks.

The company is JD Machine technology and we actually manufacture all of Noveskes N4 5.56x45 lower and upper receivers. We used to do all of spikes tactical lowers but we also manufacture lower and upper receivers for many other re****ble AR15 brands like AAC(the suppressor manufacture) Franklin, sog arms, Just to name a few.

We manufacture in house:
                      Mil spec buffer tubes
                      Free float railed and cylindrical hand guards
                      Lower and upper receivers for 5.56 and 7.62 AR rifles
                      Charging handles for 5.56 and .308 AR rifles
                      Charging handles tactical latches
                      Railed and low profile gas blocks in alloy and steel
                      And many more

And we do custom engraving. We do hundreds of us army stamped lower receivers

Comment

Originally posted by 11Charlie View Post
                        If anyone needs good deals on complete ready to fire AR15 or AR .308 rifles, or just parts, I work for a firearms manufacturer where we build the receivers from solid forgings or solid billet blanks.

The company is JD Machine technology and we actually manufacture all of Noveskes N4 5.56x45 lower and upper receivers. We used to do all of spikes tactical lowers but we also manufacture lower and upper receivers for many other re****ble AR15 brands like AAC(the suppressor manufacture) Franklin, sog arms, Just to name a few.

We manufacture in house:
                        Mil spec buffer tubes
                        Free float railed and cylindrical hand guards
                        Lower and upper receivers for 5.56 and 7.62 AR rifles
                        Charging handles for 5.56 and .308 AR rifles
                        Charging handles tactical latches
                        Railed and low profile gas blocks in alloy and steel
                        And many more

And we do custom engraving. We do hundreds of us army stamped lower receivers
                        That's good stuff! Noveske is top-tier.

Although, some of the upper receivers are made by VLTOR (specifically the VIS) if I'm not mistaken. Do you work for a subcontractor of VLTOR?

Fun day at Range 14 near Ft. Dix.

[

Last edited by Polo08816; December 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/gousamu

That's a link tot he US Army Marksmanship Unit. They have some videos are serve as a good resource for improving your abilities.

Comment

Working...
                          X