Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to handle long drill commute?

I will be finished with my phase 2 training for my MOS in April (68k medical lab tech). My unit is in Knoxville, TN. My wife is active duty and is stationed at Ft. Lee. She was reclassed to 92M (mortuary affairs) and Ft. Lee is the only duty station for that small MOS.

I will be moving out to the Ft. Lee area after I am finished training. I have looked into switching states, but there are no slots for my MOS. Going active is also not an option as I have looked into that.

My question is, would it be better to just **** it up and commute the 450 miles one way each month for drill, or reclass to a different MOS? If I reclassed and moved states to VA would I have to go through AIT again?

We tried everything to get my wife to Ft. Campbell as I am from the nashville area and that would have been easiest, but that also is not an option.

Re: Best way to handle long drill commute?

That's one long commute. Personally, I don't think it's realistic, and you're just asking for heartache. Reclass. Some of the combat arms MOS take only two weeks to reclass.

Comment

I personally would reclass. For me, I've never been more than 45min from any of my units. And I considered that long. The last half of my career being 10min away came in handy more than you'd think. (Especially when I once forgot a major item on the day of a supply shakedown....hehe.)

Comment

Your whole drill pay will be wasted on gas.

Comment

I drive 150 miles one way. It really ***** driving for 2 hours at zerodarkthirty to get to drill. There are a few soldier in my unit that travel 300-350. 450 is tough, and it's costly at that. I recommend a reclass. In many cases you won't go through AIT again, instead you would go through a MOS-Q course which may only take a few weeks in some cases. Mine was 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X