Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help regarding travel pay

Hi all!

So I'm a student in NY (so I enlisted in the NY ARNG) but live in Ca during the off months. This year, I was trying to get an excuse for AT but was unable to for various reasons. Anywho, I had to report to NY from CA for AT and am wondering whether I can get travel pay for this... I thought I remember hearing about how if you lived more than 60 miles from your unit, it could potentially provide for travel pay.

I'm not dying for travel pay, but wondering if this is an option. I know that some will say I should move to the CA guard for whatever reason, but it's a bit complicated.

Anyways, I would appreciate any help on the issue

Re: Need help regarding travel pay

Originally posted by ryncho View Post
    Hi all!

So I'm a student in NY (so I enlisted in the NY ARNG) but live in Ca during the off months. This year, I was trying to get an excuse for AT but was unable to for various reasons. Anywho, I had to report to NY from CA for AT and am wondering whether I can get travel pay for this... I thought I remember hearing about how if you lived more than 60 miles from your unit, it could potentially provide for travel pay.

I'm not dying for travel pay, but wondering if this is an option. I know that some will say I should move to the CA guard for whatever reason, but it's a bit complicated.

Anyways, I would appreciate any help on the issue
    You will automatically get paid for mileage in your pay from the address listed on your orders to your unit armory. So if you no longer live in NY and have an address in CA and its legitmate, tell your unit you need to update your home address.

Comment

Everyone received mileage payment, but it was from our armory to Ft. Drum, not from CA (which is my home of record/home of residence on record).

I was told that if it was approved, it would go through DTS

Comment

Everyone received mileage payment, but it was from our armory to Ft. Drum, not from CA (which is my home of record/home of residence on record).

Talk to your travel section. That doesn't seem right to me, considering you still have to travel to your unit armory before going to FT Drum. Every AT I have ever been a part of I have received mileage from my HOR on my orders to the duty site which is usually the Armory. Putting a third stop in there could change something, in addition there are many, many types of order formating for pay purposes. I guess it would not be impossible for your state to have used a different format plus DTS. I would speak to the travel section at your JFHQ USPFO. I am not telling you to skip your chain of command, however I am telling you that speaking to USPFO directly will give you the most accuratte answer and/or options, because the buck stops with them.
        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 3rd, 2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I think this is your problem. If you have to use DTS and you haven't input your travel into DTS, then you're not going to get paid. Find somone in your unit who is smart about DTS (probably an AGR) and get registered.

Don't cheat yourself on travel. You're probably looking at an extra $1000 or more for travel from CA to NY.

Comment

Working...
          X