X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going IRR, how is it done?

I want to go IRR for 4-5 months. I asked about it and was told just turn a letter into my CO. I am guessing there is more to it. Is there a format for the letter? If not I will do one on my job format, stating I will not be going to drills and turn it into the Guard.

I have 5 months till I retire, and due to my job and unit deploying I can not make the MUTA drills.

Thanks.

Re: Going IRR, how is it done?

Since you are close to retiring, you need to make sure that you have met the minimun required training days (MUTAs and ATs) to have a good year toward retirement. You should also try to see if it is at all possible to split-train as many days as possible for the drills which may alleviate any need for requests of excused absences from dill or requests for transfer to the IRR.

Keep in mind that there is a bit of out-processing required for your seperation and retirement from the ARNG, and you need to know what those specific requirements are, and how to make sure all are completed prior to your ETS/Retirement. As well unitl such an action is approved, you are still required to attend scheduled drills, as you know has always been the rule...

Although a detailed letter requesting transfer into the IRR to your commander is required, there is no guarantee that it will be approved at that level, or higher levels - even in light of civilian employment and unit deployment issues. Refer to your state ESGR rep resentative for questions regarding issues with your drill status and planned retirement in regards to your civilian employer.

You can search for the regulations and other information (such as that from Army Human Resources Command) on the IRR program, being in an IRR status, and how to make a formal request.

You should also look at the following: NGR 614-1; AR 135-91, as well as other infomration your local S-1 can provide. You should also refer this requestion to a local ARNg Career Counselor who is familiar with your states policies regarding IRR and Retirement.

Comment

If you are only 5 months from retiring then the IRR is probably not your best option. Like LSRU stated, I would get with your unit to see if you can make up the training early.

Comment

Thanks for the info, it helps some. I looked on line and IRR looked the best.

I have well over 20 years of service. My issue is that my Unit is now doing MUTA 6's and a week here or there. When I last reenlisted I was at a set job. I have now been promoted and work a different area. My issue is I am a first responder. My situation now is that I am supervisor for my law enforcement agencys CID. I am in charge of several detectives and am subject to 'on call' status and do not have a person that can cover my job like when I was on patrol and we had a few people that could run shifts. At one time making up drills was not an issue. Now it is.

I have over 20 good years and this year I did some schools and AT. My unit is working on another deployment next year, and they are doing train up now. I will not be deploying. I have done a number of combat deployments and state missions. If I am called up, I have no issue going where ever.
        Past issues with Hurricane Rita and some other floods/disasters did put my two jobs against one another, but my Guard service came first for the state.

As part of the MOB up, a retention NCO looked at my ETS and when I said I would not extend, he gave me a couseling statement saying I would need to tranfer to the IRR and get out. When I looked into it, they said it was more to get soldiers to extend/re-up or get rid of those that did not want to deploy. But regardless I have done my time for my country and my state, now its time to take care of my city and my state.

I guess I will just do a letter to CO and see what else they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Cav View Post
          As part of the MOB up, a retention NCO looked at my ETS and when I said I would not extend, he gave me a couseling statement saying I would need to tranfer to the IRR and get out. When I looked into it, they said it was more to get soldiers to extend/re-up or get rid of those that did not want to deploy. But regardless I have done my time for my country and my state, now its time to take care of my city and my state.
          Actually, unless there is some wierd (but not legal) unit or state policy, you cannot be forced into the IRR because you are not deploy9ing due to an ETS that conflicts. This would be a major IG issue if they have put it in paper.

My unit had the same issue... the way it needs to be done is this - you are not required to do the 2 extra MUTAs, nor are you required to transfer units or go IRR. You will be placed into a Rear Detachment of some sort - and if the unit MUTA 6 training is too much of a conflict to allow you to do your MUTA 4 at the same time, your next higher level S1 should coordinate where you will drill to complete your term of service, and meet your yearly requirements for training and retirement points toward retirement.

I would be very interetsted to see how this counselling statement is worded... and what level of NCO / command approved it...

Comment

It's not forced to transfer. The Policy is covered under NGB Policy Memo #09-022 Para 6 b(2)(a) and the TXANG. It says you can not transfer to another unit, and you will get out NLT your set ETS date if you do not extend. It says I may transfer to the IRR if I choose not to extend for the deployment to fulfill the balance of my contract.

I wanted to transfer to different unit and do Sat/Sun drills and was told I could not.

I looked on line for as much IRR stuff as I could, read the FM's, etc, thats how I found this site. Its still not clear how it works.

I set a letter from work w/letter head requesting IRR (in hind sight maybe a Military memorandum would have been better). I might just drop a 4187 for the heck of it too.

Comment

Counseling statement was issued durring a pre MOB by a SFC/E-7 retention NCO for the state.

It was some what done as extend or get out, now that stop loss is gone. I agree with.

Purpose of counseling: Event Oriented. Soldier is declining to extend for DESP and IAW NGB-ARH Policy will not extend thier current enlistment agreement to deploy.

Counsel soldier on implications of their decision.

Here is the statement

Per NGB Policy Memo #90-022 Para 6. B(2)(a) “Enlisted members who choose not to extend their enlistment contract in order to be eligible for deployment in accordance with this policy may request transfer to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) for the balance of their enlistment contract. They will not otherwise be considered for transfer to another unit, are not eligible for extension, and they will be separated from the ARNG no later than scheduled ETS date
              Then I had selection blocks to intial.

I am aware I will be seperated from the TXANG...

I request transfer to the IRR based on declination of the DESP Program...

I can be mobilized from the IRR...

I am aware I will remain in the IRR for the remainder of my current contract regardless of remaining military service...

I think its better than the old system, as I was Infantry/Scout and we did a lot of combat deployments and many soldiers did not deploy and stayed in as rear det or bounced to non deploying units. Those that dodged deployments got good schools and promotions.

Comment

Working...
              X