Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS this Normal??

Hey all

I just recently rejoined the guard, and got assigned to a unit about 4 hrs away , but then transferred to a unit close to home. My First full drill is coming up and I have only 1 set of ACU's that I bought on my own, and the new unit says they cannot provide me any uniforms at all. So do I have to buy all the Req ACU's and dress Greens?? Will I be reimbursed if I show my recepit to S-1. Is this also the Same for Gear Issue?? Thanks in Advance.

SGT. W

Re: IS this Normal??

Money is pretty tight right now. I'm sure you watch the news from time to time. It's been a big deal in my state trying to get soldiers new uniforms. My unit supply NCO has been wrestling with the state to get the funding to purchase new uniforms. Once they gave him the funding, he had 2 weeks to get orders from everyone in the unit. Pretty ridiculous. Hold onto your reciepts and you can be reimbursed on your taxes at the end of the year. I always hold onto my reciepts for everything I purchase that is military related. All the gear, boots, and uniforms and then claim it on my taxes. Last year it was $700 that I was able to get back. I couldn't believe I had spent that much of my own money but I guess over the course of a year it makes sense.

Comment

I wouldnt buy my own gear. If they haven't issued it to you then they can't expect you to have it. If it was me, I would show up in civilian clothes until they issued me uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
        I wouldnt buy my own gear. If they haven't issued it to you then they can't expect you to have it. If it was me, I would show up in civilian clothes until they issued me uniforms.
        .....................+1

Comment

You should not have to buy your initial issue.. and any military use uniforms and equipment you purchase can be deducted from your taxes as a "non-reimburseable employee expense". When you get to your gaining unit you need to get with your supply SGT to order ACUs and boots, etc - you need to go over all of your sizes for personnal clothing to try to get an order in as soon as you can - orders normally do not go to CIF and are actually processed by a different organization - which causes the large amount of time to recieve some items.

Your unit in-processing procedures should cover this - if not, do not hesitate to be pro-active!

You may not be issued a "green" dress uniform - as the new ASU has been slowly fielded. Your CIF is a seperate issue from personal clothing - and that will be issued by either your unit (through inventory or ordering process) or you will need to schedule an appointment with CIF through your unit to go get your TA-50, etc.

Do not expect this process to be completely smoooth - and you should be actively part of the process, and not sit back and hope it works. Perhaps contacting the full-time supply sgt at your gaining unit prior to drill would be in order - to see if he/she can explain thier specific process to you (and maybe get some paperwork started on you as well).

Comment

Exactly. Are unit supply sergeants a thing in the past in Guard units? I doubt it. Consult your leadership before any military out of pocket expense. Even that extra war-gear I see soldiers purchase.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM. Reason: to state out of pocket for explicit military use

Comment

we had a guy who's gear got blown up on a FOB and all he had was a set of ACUs that he turned in at the end of his RA enlistment. When he got to our unit they tried the same thing. He wore civies every drill and our PLT SGT got on him once all he said was "Sergeant, I'm not mission capable. I can't do anything without proper equipment" a couple months later he had all his gear lol

Comment

Not normal. Unit supply should get you all you need. Should take less than two weeks to get. My unit is on line and what ever I ask for on one drill I get on the next.

I dont know how funds are for all Units, but I have been issued 4 ACU's every year, and get extra when we deploy. CTA-50 is based on unit and deployment missions, so gear can vary a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cav View Post
                  Not normal. Unit supply should get you all you need. Should take less than two weeks to get. My unit is on line and what ever I ask for on one drill I get on the next.
                  It is normal. UND, FAD, and Funding depends unit to unit. Your unit (I only assume an infantry/cav company) has a higher priority than most other units in the state. It's sad but true. We had 2 weeks to get everyones sizes for the ASU and order them before State cut off our funding for it.

TA-50 is also in the same boat. A lot of times, Supply Sergeants only get so much money and if they have a lot of other things to buy and it isn't near AT or a MUTA 5 field weekend, then don't expect your gear. If it's summer, I am not going to buy you Gortex, nor will I order it in your initial issue. There is a lot of factors that play when it comes to clothing and equipment. DO NOT question or get angry with your supply sergeant because a lot of times it's out of his control. Ask for copies when he orders your equipment or clothing.

Comment

OP, you also mentioned that you re-joined. How much of a break in service did you have? Also, have you looked in AKO under you're clothing record?

Comment

His clothing should not be on his Clothing Record, sir. I actually think it's stated in the regulation that clothing should not be on it, which is why a lot of people have issues with full RFI being on their clothing record (RFI includes boots, shirts, socks, etc)

Comment

Really? I thought clothing was on their AKO record. I don't really worry about mine, since I have to buy my own stuff but I remember gettign beat up on my last CSDP inspection becuase not all of my unit hadn't signed their AKO clothing record.

Comment

AKO grabs its information from CIF-ISM which is what supply sergeants use to order TA-50 and clothing. TA-50 (including RFI) is issued on the Electronic (And up to date) version of the DA Form 3645. DA 3645 is used to inventory the OCIE. Clothing is ordered by CIF-ISM and can be issued/inventoried on the DA form 4886 (Issue-In-Kind-Personal Clothing Record).

On AKO, you're digitally signing for your DA 3645 since that stuff is accountable. Your clothing (DA 4886) is expendable, but must be inventoried (unless you're an E5 or above, with approval of the commander).

Yargh, hard to explain to a non-loggy, sorry!!

Comment

Thank you all for the replies, sorry for my delay, busy at work. I did just rejoin, but no break in service, I went from ARNG to ANG now back to ARNG. Bummer thing is even though I am infantry and wanted to get back to that state told me sorry to overstrength in INF and CAV, so they put me in an Arty unit, I was going to be 13F but they switched me to a Battery, and then got switched again to an MP Company that is getting mobilized for AFG which I was stoked about, then got told the unit is to far away and now I got moved to another MP Company, it is close to home which is good and I got place in a good line P/L happy about that. But I want to deploy one more time. Anyway back to topic, so now Im at my unit and basically got told sorry. Is Fiscal still OCT 1?? Hopefully My request will go up and ill be able to get some uni's and not have to come out of pocket. I am excited I finally got a home and have my first full drill coming up. As for AKO I only have email access from when I was in before but cannot access AKO I even called the help desk and never got an answer. Also my Uniform request sheet had dress greens and service greens on it do I have the wrong request form. thanks

Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergrunt View Post
                              Hopefully My request will go up and ill be able to get some uni's and not have to come out of pocket.
                              I think you're missing the point still. You never have to come out of pocket for your uniforms. You are not required to purchase them. If your unit does not provide them for you, then you should just show up to drill in civilian clothes until they issue what is required. The longer they see you in the civilian clothes, the quicker they will realize they need to issue you uniforms. If you show up wearing uniforms you have purchased, then you can pretty much bet that they will not make it a high priority to order your uniforms.

Comment

Working...
                              X