X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuwait 2011/2012

Can anyone tell me how dangerous Kuwait is nowadays? I am expecting orders to deploy there very shortly, within the next year. How hard would it be for me to earn the CIB there as well? What can I expect when I'm there as well? Thank you for any input/knowledge, as I am extremely curious to know.

Re: Kuwait 2011/2012

Originally posted by PAxyz View Post
    Can anyone tell me how dangerous Kuwait is nowadays? I am expecting orders to deploy there very shortly, within the next year. How hard would it be for me to earn the CIB there as well? What can I expect when I'm there as well? Thank you for any input/knowledge, as I am extremely curious to know.
    Kuwait is as rear of an area as it gets. The chances of you being engaged in any direct combat is probably less then 1%.

P.S. Don't be a badge chaser, it doesn't get you very far.

Comment

My leave in the inner city was more dangerous than Kuwait. If you yearning for a badge, then go northeast to Afghanistan.

Comment

Nebraska is more dangerous than Kuwait. Also like Paralegal said, please don't be a badge chaser, highly obnoxious.

Enjoy the year off.

Comment

Tax Free VACATION!!!!

Comment

We were driving around in civilian vehicles without gear on in Kuwait City the end of '09. It required a gun or two, to move large amounts of troops there, but it was just a requirment on paper, it really wasnt needed, like I said when it was just a few of us we were travelling without gear, in fact they make you take your 'blowse' off while driving and you only have the tee on. Least then they did, it hasnt gotten worse.

Comment

The main danger in Kuwait is the heat. To prepare, just take a blow dryer and hold it a few inches from your face. Periodically throw handfuls of sand into the blowing air.

Comment

Originally posted by Kriegsspiel View Post
                The main danger in Kuwait is the heat. To prepare, just take a blow dryer and hold it a few inches from your face. Periodically throw handfuls of sand into the blowing air.
                lol. That deserves a cookie.

Comment

Unless your mission is convoy security for troops and equipment coming out of Iraq....you'll be enjoying a tan, starbucks coffee, and free wireless internet all safe and sound in the land of sand and heat.

Comment

What unit/state are you with?

Im also going there, but less than a year.. It's going to be an awesome, easy deployment.

Comment

any excess slots open for a Carpenter?

Comment

I was in Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, from '08 - '09 and it was like everyone else said - a vacation. I agree, you shouldn't be hunting for badges and the you will probably only see action if you are running convoys into mid - north Iraq.

At least when I was there things were quiet in the south and Kuwait itself is like being in garrison (with all the same military customs, e.g. saluting). But yeah, if you are able to get on some convoy runs it's a good experience (even without action).

Comment

I wish I can get Kuwait.

Comment

Hey im currently deployed in kuwait with the 27th brigade out of new york i believe you are relieving us; send me a PM on here.
                            Last edited by RyCass; September 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM. Reason: Grammer and no personal email accounts!

Comment

While camped at Taji, Iraq in 2004-2005 I occasionally got put on a "redeployment" mission (as opposed to our usual "combat" missions) which involved a 3-day convoy to Kuwait, hanging around for a while looking for some cargo we could throw on our trucks to haul north, and then another 3-day movement back into Iraq. When we crossed the border into Kuwait, EVERYTHING came off -- vests, helmets, tops, and even pants (for some of our friskier soldiers)!

Kuwait is vacation land.

Comment

Working...
                              X