Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IST Woes

Where to start....

I am a SPC in the VAARNG. Due to financial hardship I have been forced to relocate to Florida and live with family. I have been trying to coordinate an IST before I left, but my living situation would not allow it.

I got an uncoordinated transfer approved by my CO, so I have 90 days to find a unit. I'm about 40 days into it. My IST Coordinator is trying to work with Fla but it seems they aren't giving up any ground. My former RNCO advised me to get approval from a Fla unit to split train with them, but it appears that that option is no longer a possibility. My only option right now I fear is to request a conditional release and try to join either the active duty component(and we all know what that means), or the FLANG, since they have a bit more vacancies than the Army side.

Does anyone else have any guidance, rules and regs, etc that I should be able to refer to on this? I don't want to get kicked out of the Guard because of a bad situation.

Re: IST Woes

If FL isn't letting you IST into them, then how the heck would you get a slot with them as a conditional release? There is no conditional release from state to state. That is what the IST is for. Did you attempt a conditional release from VA? Surprisingly enough, I have actually seen a few get approved this year. Unfortunately for you though, AD isn't really taking many PS at this time so you might not even be able to go Active. A friend got released from the guard only to be turned down by AD because of not accepting PS right now.

Comment

I mean a conditional release from VAARNG. I started the phase of applying for one due to my seeing this sort of situation coming. Active will take me but they are only taking Green Beret applicants. I've gotten some better responses from the other branches though, so that's my plan. My aunt is a LTC in the FLANG Personnel section down here, and she said she would have no problem getting me into a unit. I just need to get released from VA. IST was supposed to contact me by COB, but maybe Ms. Wendley got tied up. I will call her tomorrow and see if there were any developments.

Comment

Things must have changed. When I left Iowa (in 2003), my commander said "You have 90 days, see ya!" That was the last Iowa had anything to do with it when I moved to Jersey. There was no "coordinator."

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
          I mean a conditional release from VAARNG. I started the phase of applying for one due to my seeing this sort of situation coming. Active will take me but they are only taking Green Beret applicants. I've gotten some better responses from the other branches though, so that's my plan. My aunt is a LTC in the FLANG Personnel section down here, and she said she would have no problem getting me into a unit. I just need to get released from VA. IST was supposed to contact me by COB, but maybe Ms. Wendley got tied up. I will call her tomorrow and see if there were any developments.
          All you have to do is find a unit in FL and then swear in there. If your aunt is a LTC then she should be able to find you a unit. The IST from FL is the main one you should be dealing with. They are the ones who will get your new contract to your unit in FL for you to sign.

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Things must have changed. When I left Iowa (in 2003), my commander said "You have 90 days, see ya!" That was the last Iowa had anything to do with it when I moved to Jersey. There was no "coordinator."
          That is still pretty much how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
            All you have to do is find a unit in FL and then swear in there. If your aunt is a LTC then she should be able to find you a unit. The IST from FL is the main one you should be dealing with. They are the ones who will get your new contract to your unit in FL for you to sign.

That is still pretty much how it works.
            RSPNCO...I think you are missing what he is saying. He is talking about a conditional realease to go into the FL"A"NG. He is talking about going green to blue due to lack of vacancies on the green side.

If he did go that route, the conditional release would be the appropriate move.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              RSPNCO...I think you are missing what he is saying. He is talking about a conditional realease to go into the FL"A"NG. He is talking about going green to blue due to lack of vacancies on the green side.

If he did go that route, the conditional release would be the appropriate move.

Good catch...in that case...yes, it would need a conditional release.

Comment

I have tried dealing with the IST Coordinator from FL. He is not the most pleasant man I will say and he won't even entertain my company. He will conduct business with VAs IST only. I do have 90 Days but like I said I have about 30-40 days left. After that I most likely will get discharged from the ARNG with all the states nationwide bursting at the seams. I was able to contact my CO just now today and fill him in on my progress(or lack thereof). He will allow me to split train in FL as long as it is within his power/regulations. If not, he also endorses my request for a conditional release. With the resistance that I am getting, I'm not even sure its worth trying to do this IST; I might as well just go ahead with the release. But I just got eligible for my bonus as of 10 Sep. So that's really my only motivation for it right now. Be nice if I got it from Fla since there's no additional state tax....

Comment

If you cannot get in the Air National Guard then try talking to an Army Reserve recruiter as well that probably may be able to help. Just another option to check. Also, keep your old unit in the loop and that the IRR/ING might be a last resort option.

Comment

Can you explain more about what the IRR/ING is? Isn't that a bad thing? Also, what kind of discharge would I receive if that were to occur? Sometimes I feel like maybe that's the best way. I can get discharged and completely free from the military. And then just re enlist with either the ARNG or ANG in FL, or perhaps try active duty. However I'm sure that it isn't that easy and such a discharge would have very negative effects. I will consider the USAR but as a college student I'll definitely be missing out on some educational benefits won't I?

Comment

Working...
                    X