Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Uncategorized Discharge with Hopes of Federal Civilian Employment Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncategorized Discharge with Hopes of Federal Civilian Employment

I recently signed the enlistment contract for the Army National Guard. I am scheduled to ship to BCT soon. However, my wife and I have decided I should not continue with the Guard. Long story short, the Guard has offered me these two discharge uncategorized discharge options, Entry Level Separation due to performance and conduct or failure to ship. Since I want to work for the Federal government, e.g. FBI, DHS, which discharge would be the best to select? Thanks for your guidance.

Re: Uncategorized Discharge with Hopes of Federal Civilian Employment

Neither option sounds very good. Seperation due to performance or conduct sounds like a RE3, not going to look good on a federal application. Not sure about the failure to ship but common sense tells me that the words failure anywhere in my discharge would spell disaster on a federal application. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in this particular area will chime in. Best of luck.

Comment

You need to realize those aren't discharge types. They are narrative reasons for separation. If they give you an uncharacterized, then you have an uncharacterized discharge. There are many people out there who have suceeded in life with Entry Level Separation, but you need to be realistic.

The FBI gets over 20,000 applications a year just for the Special Agent position alone, and less than 5% even make it to the final step in the hiring process, with only handfulls getting offers. What qualifications do you expect to get that make YOU a good candidate??? Many people don't realise how the simplest thing in life will disqualify you. They do not make their intimate hiring standards public.

Your best bet may be to continute with the Guard and pickup a highly marketable skill, such as a foreign launguage, and use the college benefits to get a degree in Accounting, and now you are marketable.

Comment

Why would any of these agencies want to hire someone who signs a contract commiting to serve and then just decides they dont want to follow through with it? You made a commitment, stick to it. This isn't the boy scouts, you can't just "quit" and expect no consequences.

Comment

You sign a contract, which does not even happen as fast as it did years ago, and now you and your wife.... decide not to continue in the Guard?

And why would any federal employer choose you over someone that did their time and got out. Even someone with no time will get hired first over you as you proven that you cannot stick to a commitment.

Comment

I want to thank ever person that commented. I decided to stay in the Guard. Thanks and take care.

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post
              I want to thank ever person that commented. I decided to stay in the Guard. Thanks and take care.
              I want to commend you on your decision. I understand that everyone may deal with a little "buyers remorse" once it a while, but you have earned my respect for moving past that and sticking to your commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post
                Outstanding!!!

Comment

Working...
                X