X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inactive National Guard

I signed a 6+2 enlistment with the national guard. I did 3 good years and then did 1 yr ING so I could attend Border Patrol academy and relocate out of state. I IST'd to my new state and resumed drilling. I thought the ING would put my enlistment contract on hold, therefore adding 1 yr to my contract. However when I look at my LES my ETS date is still the same as it was prior to the ING. Does anyone know if the ING actually puts your enlistment on hold or does it affect your ETS? Thanks.

Re: Inactive National Guard

I have not checked the regulations but I believe it should not affect your ETS date. You are just placed in an inactive status; not receiving drill pay and receiving less annual points. I think you might have lost a good year based on the amount of points you made last year but I do not know the date you were placed into the ING and the date your returned to normal drill status. Meaning if you went to the ING after your AT and returned this year; you may have the required points already to have earned a good year.

I knew a soldier that went into the IRR and his ETS date was unaffected.

Comment

Re: Inactive National Guard

Here's some info for you. There's also a contact email. Or get a hold of your State TAG office. https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/Sol...s/default.aspx

Summary
      The Inactive National Guard (ING) consists of Enlisted National Guard personnel in an inactive status in the Ready Reserve, not in the Selected Reserve. To remain in the ING, members must muster once a year with their assigned Unit, but they do not participate in training activities. On mobilization, ING members mobilize with their Units or are cross leveled into other mobilized units. Similar to Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) members, some ING members have a contractual obligation. Members of the ING may not train for retirement credit or pay and are not eligible for promotion. The ING category is currently used only by the ARNG. Members of the Reserves with no inactive duty training or active duty for training obligations may perform voluntary unpaid drills with Units of the Selected Reserve, enroll in correspondence courses, or perform other unpaid inactive duty training for the purpose of accumulating retirement points. Individuals who have enlisted in the Reserves and are awaiting their initial active duty for training may also perform unpaid drills.

ING is an effective way to keep Soldiers in the Guard who need a temporary reprieve from the rigors of regular participation in the ARNG.

Frequently Asked Questions
      Q. Who is eligible for transfer to the ING?
      A. Only enlisted Soldiers are eligible for transfer to the ING; commissioned and warrant officers are not (note: as used in this document the term "Soldier" refers to enlisted members (male and female) unless otherwise specified; the term "active status" refers to active drilling status in the ARNG).
      Q. Is there a time limitation on membership in ING?
      A. There is no time limitation unless the Soldier is under a contractual obligation for participation.
      Q. Who must approve ING membership?
      A. All membership in ING is approved by the Soldier’s State TAG and he or she has ultimate veto authority.
      Q. Am I collecting retirement points while in the ING?
      A. No. Members of the ING may not train for retirement credit or pay and are not eligible for promotion.
      Q. What are the differences between the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), the Inactive National Guard (ING), and the Selected Reserve?
      A. There are many key differences between the IRR, the ING and the Selected Reserves

Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Soldiers are a group of trained, experienced military professionals who stand ready to individually augment Army units. IRR Soldiers live, work and study in the civilian community, but they are military members with an existing service obligation. The Army accesses the forces and capabilities of the IRR as necessary to fight and win our nation's wars. Soldiers serving in the IRR are by no means inactive. There are many opportunities available for IRR Soldiers to continue their military careers. As IRR members, they can apply for active duty assignments, obtain professional development training, and get promoted. IRR Soldiers are required to meet minimum annual requirements that include updating personal contact information, attending muster duty, updating a readiness screening questionnaire online, and responding to official military correspondence. They are also subject to involuntary mobilization. (2)

Selected Reserve are those Units and individuals within the Ready Reserve designated by their respective services and approved by the Joint Chiefs of Staff as so essential to initial wartime missions that they have priority over all other reserves. All Selected Reservists are in an active status. The Selected Reserve also includes persons performing initial active duty for training.

Inactive National Guard (ING) Soldiers are in inactive status. While IRR and Selected Reserve continue with earning Retirement Points and promotions, ING Soldiers do not.
      Note, I also poked around in some of the lengthy official documentation elsewhere...and couldn't find anything about ETS date changing.

Comment

Working...
      X