Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I work for peace within the National Guard?

I have just enlisted as an 11b. I ship out on September 6 2011. I am going to OCS upon my return to Oregon. I want to find challenges within the military that will show that my heart is strong, that I'm passionate about my cause and garner me respect from those I work with. I am not a pacifist. I simply want to work to make the world a place that I want to live in. So I joined up to challenge those that I feel might oppose me. I think its possible that some of those people are not foreigners.

I am not without ideas. When I commission I want to work in logistics of food distribution and procurement. Is it possible to work on changing the way the military eats through the National Guard? To wean the military off fast food would be a great goal and a step closer to a peaceful world. To assist the military in moving away from unsustainable macro-agriculture would be good for the US and for peace.

I want take advantage of all opportunities that will make me a tougher soldier to stay on my path and to gain credence with the soldiers around me. How do I go to Air Assault school, Ranger School, Airborne, etc.... ?How do I get medical training? (Saving lives is good for the US and for peace.) What can I do for extra credit in the National Guard to make me tougher, better trained and a well rounded soldier?

Is it possible to graduate from AIT with honors?

Does anyone have any advice or criticisms for me. I am open to all.

Re: How do I work for peace within the National Guard?

As a member of the US military, you are already working for peace. Your honorable service provides a deterrent to tyrants around the world.

Since your National Guard service will be part-time (unless mobilized), you will have a different impact on the military at large, particularly on daily operations. You can still serve as a good example to those around you, which is usually an effective way to spark lasting change.

Basic and AIT have opportunities for you to excel, ask your DS about what you need to do to qualify. Pushups will figure prominently, as will a positive attitude.

Comment

You need to be realistic. As a SPC or 2LT, don't expect to initiate much change. It's going to be a lot of do as you are told. You need to have a long vision that involves a 5 year plan. How will your success be measured in 5 years? These must be real measureable goals. Then think aobut the next five years.

My hope is that one of your greatest goals in life is to make a better MRE. Those things will plug you up for days.

You also need to be realistic in your assessment of world peace. Not all conlifct is bad. I think that we can all agree that the bloody and violent American Revolution was worth while, while not everything that was done was justified such as the burning of loyalist homes. If you think you're going to change the constitution of the human heart, you are misguided. There will always be a degree of corruption. It sounds as though you want to transpose your beliefs of peace on other people. If your peace causes my oppression, then we are going to have conflict. You need to have realistic goals about what you are trying to accomplish, that are small and measureable.

There are several things you can do to set yourself apart. I think one thing is to learn another language particiluarly those that the Army finds valuble. There are also corespondance courses that you can do right now. You need to also keep yourself in top physical condition. I think you're on the right track, you're a little naive and idealistic but that's not uncommon for young folk.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 3rd, 2011, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcopolo View Post
        I have just enlisted as an 11b. I ship out on September 6 2011. I am going to OCS upon my return to Oregon. I want to find challenges within the military that will show that my heart is strong, that I'm passionate about my cause and garner me respect from those I work with. I am not a pacifist. I simply want to work to make the world a place that I want to live in. So I joined up to challenge those that I feel might oppose me. I think its possible that some of those people are not foreigners.

I am not without ideas. When I commission I want to work in logistics of food distribution and procurement. Is it possible to work on changing the way the military eats through the National Guard? To wean the military off fast food would be a great goal and a step closer to a peaceful world. To assist the military in moving away from unsustainable macro-agriculture would be good for the US and for peace.

I want take advantage of all opportunities that will make me a tougher soldier to stay on my path and to gain credence with the soldiers around me. How do I go to Air Assault school, Ranger School, Airborne, etc.... ?How do I get medical training? (Saving lives is good for the US and for peace.) What can I do for extra credit in the National Guard to make me tougher, better trained and a well rounded soldier?

Is it possible to graduate from AIT with honors?

Does anyone have any advice or criticisms for me. I am open to all.
        To be honest, I had a different idea of what your post might be when I saw it on the main thread page. I thought you were probably against war and wanted to use your service in the Guard to be a voice about it. Then I saw infantry and then I saw the paradox. If world peace between nations is someone's goals then the Peace Corps is a place where people can get involved in humanitarian missions and show how nations can truly serve one another. Remember what the military's overall mission is. Yes, the Guard has a dual mission on disaster relief but be specifically conscious of the other one. That is the main one that is currently affecting your operation tempo.

The military does have soldiers assigned to Civil Affairs to help Commander's with their missions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_a...ed_States_Army

You signing on the dotted line shows that you have a patriot's heart and will embody the Army values which one of them reflects personal courage. Just realize that going into the infantry is potentially fighting for your country after a political means has failed. But as you see in recent war footage, the grunt is not always about combat but being an ambassador for our country and at times mingles with the populace to provide good will. You see the photo of the grunt kicking a soccer ball to a Afghan/Iraqi child.

I know officers that work in food service and their jobs are to ensure that food is received, process and presented according to Army regulations. There are contracts involved with the food that is purchased and I do not know what do you mean by changing the food. For example, changing the menu to a strictly soy diet or to totally remove fast food items. At our dining facility, there is a fast food line and a regular serving line with each food group showing the amount of calories involved and being served. Honestly, in my Guard service, I never seen a food section but just a few cooks that were part of the unit in which their jobs were to cook lunch meals for us. I never received breakfast or dinner served unless I was at AT. I like Chaplain's remarks about MREs but they are constantly overhauling those meals.

Personally, having airborne, air assault, ranger or any school does not provide credibility because I have seen outstanding leaders that never had any of those. I never looked for those schools but they came to me because of the duty station I was asssigned to. In the Guard, there are not so easy to receive and sometimes it is better to get it in your enlistment contract than trying to get it afterwards when you are finally assigned to your unit. You being combat arms might have better access but that is up to your unit.

It is possible to graduate from any Army school with honors. Two schools ago, I made the Commandant's list and I was not even trying.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X