X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is OCS still possible?

My wife has over 90 credits at her college and has not completed her bachelors degree yet. She has recently joined the Army reserve. Our recruiter stated that because she had a short time left in college, she would not be able to complete a ROTC program and suggested to join now to have assistance/benefits for school and then complete her degree. After this she could go to OCS. Currently, she will go to BCT the end on July. We have concerns that joining now may not have been a correct choice for becoming an officer. First, could she not have went to OCS first with the amount of credits she did have? Second, she will turn 30 in October. Will her age keep her from going to OCS? Would a opening for officer, need to be open in her current unit before OCS? Would active duty be required after OCS? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Is OCS still possible?

Your wife joined the Army Reserves, this is a National Guard site. While very similiar they are also very different. My advise would be to ask the same questions of the recruiter.

Comment

ROTC requires at least four semesters to complete the advanced program. Her age won't be a problem for OCS, and I think, not sure, the USAR uses the federal OCS only. That requires a completed degree. She should be able to accept an officer position at any USAR unit. The only active duty requirement after OCS should be her BOLC. As my friend mentioned above, verify all of this with a Reserve recruiter.

Comment

First, could she not have went to OCS first with the amount of credits she did have?
        Maybe. Less then a degee she would've had to get a waiver.

Would a opening for officer, need to be open in her current unit before OCS?
        She would need an open slot in a unit that she is willing to commute to.

Second, she will turn 30 in October.
        Currenlty she would have to commission before age 37.

Army Reserve (AR)

a. All Army Reserve (AR) OCS applicants must graduate OCS prior to their
        37th birthday.

b. All applicants processing for enlistment into the AR OCS program must
        have at a minimum a Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or
        university in order to attend OCS for the purpose of earning a commission as
        Reserve Component Officer. Exceptions to the education requirement will be
        considered for those applicants who have 90 semester hours and are in pursuit
        of a Baccalaureate Degree. All exceptions will be forwarded to HQ, USAREC G-3,
        Policy via GCR workflow. The approval authority is the Deputy Chief of Staff
        (DCS) G-1.

4. No waivers will be granted for moral turpitude or any criminal offense that
        would require a major misconduct waiver by HQ USAREC for those applicants
        desiring to enter OCS. There will be no waivers granted for DUI or drug use.
        USAREC will still consider minor criminal offenses as outlined in AR 601-210.
        Future Soldiers pending shipment that received a waiver previously are
        grandfathered and can ship as scheduled.

Comment

You ask if your wife could've gone to OCS first, as in, before BCT if I understand you correctly, with the credits she has. My understanding is that since isn't doesn't have prior Army experience, she'd have to go to BCT before anything, regardless of any credits she's accumulated.

Comment

Working...
          X