X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger School for a medic?

Hi everyone I have a question about getting into ranger school. I'm an E4 Medic in an infantry unit and I would really like to go to Ranger school. My PT score is 290 I've been in almost 3 years and my comand seems likes me. But I wanted to ask on here if going to Ranger school is posible and the best way to go about bringing the idea up to my unit before I start asking them to send me.

Thank you for any guidance you have for me.

Re: Ranger School for a medic?

The biggest hurdle that you face is funding. The chances of your state sending anyone to any school that doesn't NEED it or it isn't part of career progression in their MOS is slim to none.

Comment

Your unit actually should have thier standards and policies for schools such as Ranger posted, if your section leader cannot help you, then perhaps your schools or readiness NCO can give you the info, so if possible, you can start the schools process. Since you are in an Infantry unit the odds are in your favor, but each state has differing standards for sending soldiers to schools - with budget constraints being the big one right now.

Ask once, if turned down keep on asking... If necessary learn what papework your unit uses to apply for schools and always have that filled out and ready to go whenever you make an attempt to get in.

Comment

Has your unit sent any of the 11B's to Ranger School? Thats the first question you need to ask yourself. When it comes to special schools its a big money game with the state. Ranger School is very expensive and the likely hood that a soldier will actually come back tabed is very small, so the state is typically very hesitant to take that risk with the money. Can combat medics go to Ranger School? Yes. Will you get to go? Don't count on it. The 11B's have a higher priority and more specifically the 11B's in a leadership position.

Chances are there is an OML list for your company and for the Battalion for special schools. Depending on where you rank on that list should determine who goes to what school in what order for that year. But even being at the top of that OML list doesn't guarantee a slot. At the end of the day it all comes down to money.

Comment

Have you looked into the Expert Field Medic Badge course? It's just as HOOAH in my opinion.

Comment

All of the above comments apply.

Plus as a Combat Medic (68W) you will be required to attend and pass Ranger Training Assessment Course (RTAC), formerly known as Pre-Ranger, before being eligible to apply for Ranger School. Here is the Link to RTAC: http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/wtc/pr.htm

VOLUNTARY REQUESTS FOR RANGER SCHOOL ATTENDANCE MUST BE FAVORABLY ENDORSED THROUGH THE SOLDIER'S CHAIN OF COMMAND.

Comment

Working...
            X