X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit starting training for deployment

I receive the newsletter for my unit even though I am still in RSP.
    I always look over the letter just to be in the know lol

I read that my unit is starting pre-deployment training next month or however they do that.

I am leaving for basic training and AIT in July, and won't get back until November. I am enrolled in the college first option, and I was planning on starting college in the spring following my return.

How does this work with my unit? I mean, if I have to follow my unit during deployment I am by no means trying to find a way out. I just don't want to pay for college or set up dorm arrangements and whatnot if I will just be pulled out.

Does the college first option really mean I wouldn't have to go with them?
    Also, if I do have to go, would I just jump in on the middle of their training?

Any help would be appreciated I also want to know if I am going to follow them through their deployment so I can let my family know easily and slowly instead of shocking them right after I get back from training lol.

Thank you!

Re: Unit starting training for deployment

Best advice is get in contact with your unit. They can probably advise you of what's going on. Since you won't be returning until November I'm not sure if they would send you on the deployment. You wuold probably get put on real detachment. I'm not sure so don't quote me! But I feel like that would be a better bet than bringing you in after them being there so long already.

Comment

Isn't Betty White that very old comedian?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Isn't Betty White that very old comedian?
        Yeah, she was a one of the Golden Girls.

Comment

If you get deployed you will get an entirely different GI BILL called the post 9/11 GI BILL, it's much better than the Reserve GI Bill you would get just by signing up.

And you would get a combat patch, hooah!!!

You can always say you don't want to do college first. It's your call.

Comment

You would probably get put on real detachment. I'm not sure so don't quote me! But I feel like that would be a better bet than bringing you in after them being there so long already.
            That's what I was thinking. I am going to be missing so much of the traininig, I don't want to be a liability lol.

If you get deployed you will get an entirely different GI BILL called the post 9/11 GI BILL, it's much better than the Reserve GI Bill you would get just by signing up.

And you would get a combat patch, hooah!!!

You can always say you don't want to do college first. It's your call.
            Yes, this is part of the reason why I'm not necessarily against the idea. I have to see what my unit says. I don't want them to think I'm punking out, but I also don't want to be deployed without proper training and endanger anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bettywhite View Post
              I receive the newsletter for my unit even though I am still in RSP.
              I always look over the letter just to be in the know lol

I read that my unit is starting pre-deployment training next month or however they do that.

I am leaving for basic training and AIT in July, and won't get back until November. I am enrolled in the college first option, and I was planning on starting college in the spring following my return.

How does this work with my unit? I mean, if I have to follow my unit during deployment I am by no means trying to find a way out. I just don't want to pay for college or set up dorm arrangements and whatnot if I will just be pulled out.

Does the college first option really mean I wouldn't have to go with them?
              Also, if I do have to go, would I just jump in on the middle of their training?

Any help would be appreciated I also want to know if I am going to follow them through their deployment so I can let my family know easily and slowly instead of shocking them right after I get back from training lol.

Thank you!
              When did you enlist??? "College first" option has not been an option for a VERY long time. If you enlisted recently are you sure thats what you did? It says that in your contract??

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                When did you enlist??? "College first" option has not been an option for a VERY long time. If you enlisted recently are you sure thats what you did? It says that in your contract??
                Yes, I am absolutely sure. I enlisted in August of last year. I just re-read over my contract and that's what it says. I'm doing a 2 and 6 option. I also know a bunch of kids in my RSD who have the same contract?

Comment

Working...
                X